When you think tacos, you may not always think of meatballs, but I’m here to tell you that you should. It is a great way to use ground meat in a taco without it just being loose meat. These Chicken & Chorizo Tacos are loaded down with the spicy bite of chorizo and the delicious flavors of chicken layered up with radishes, salsa verde, cojita and sour cream.
Whenever making meatballs, I always recommend using a measured scooper. This allows you to portion the meat mix out into equal sizes- which results in them all cooking evening. Another tip to help with even cooking is to use a baking rack in the baking sheet. When you elevate the meatballs just slightly from the baking sheet, it allows for the warm air to flow all around.
As you have probably noticed, I have a preference for flour tortillas for most of my taco creations. I love the way you can wrap everything up inside and take and easy bite without breaking – which is pretty common with corn tortillas. That said, if you are inclined to corn tortillas, my only note is to use two corn tortillas as they seem to hold up better in pairs.
The meatballs make these tacos a hefty meal for sure. But you would probably want some sort of side. You could go classic refried beans and Mexican rice. Or you could go mashed black beans and cilantro lime rice. You may also want to use these meatballs into other meals – they would be so good in a tortilla soup or a taco pasta recipe.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Chicken & Chorizo Tacos
- 15 Street Taco Sized Flour Tortillas
- 1 cup Salsa Verde
- 4 Radishes thin sliced
- 1 cup Cojita Cheese crumbled
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ½ cup Cilantro leaves removed from stems
For the Meatballs
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 1 lb Ground Chorizo Sausage
- 1 tbsp Dried Minced Onion
- 1 cup Panko
- 1 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to 375degF.
- Combine meatball ingredients. Form into 1½ inch balls. Place on a baking rack on a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Bake in oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before cutting each meatball in half.
- Smear half of tortilla with sour cream. Add 3-4 meatball halves and drizzle with salsa verde. Add radish slices and cilantro leaves. Sprinkle with cojita cheese. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
I love to link up my posts to lots of blogs around the internet – check out this Ultimate Handy Linky Party List to find some of the places I share to!
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!