If you have been around this blog long – then you know I like to play with classic comfort foods to make new dishes. That’s exactly what this recipe for Chili Cheese Dog Mac is – a combination of two classic comfort foods into on delicious casserole dish. A homemade creamy mac and cheese layered up with a simple chili and lots of cheese! Your family is going to love this hearty casserole.
This is one of those recipes that can be made all homemade or have things swapped out to make it more of a “semi-homemade” version. I have included my recipe for homemade mac and cheese. It is a fairly quick to make, easy to complete on a weeknight version of mac and cheese. I actually make it probably once a week in my home. I have also included my version of Simple Chili – it doesn’t take much longer than the mac and cheese will take to make, but I would suggest you start it the chili first if you are making it. If you need a shortcut – you can definitely use your favorite canned chili. I will urge you to use one with beans, as it adds a nice texture to this casserole.
For the “dog” part of this Chili Cheese Dog Mac recipe, I like to use smoked sausages (think “costco dogs”) instead of the much smaller wieners. It’s really just a preference for my family. They prefer a more “meaty” hot dog for our meals. You can use what ever your family prefers. You can also use hot link, if you prefer.
I have mentioned it a few times now, but this is a rather hearty casserole. We did not have any need for side dishes at all. That said – there were no leftovers. So depending on your plans for the longevity of this meal, you may want to include a salad or maybe some garlic green beans on the side, steamed broccoli would be good too.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Chili Cheese Dog Mac
- 1 13×9 Baking Dish
- 8 All-Beef Smoked Sausages halve and cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 30oz Chili with Beans or use recipe below
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 3 Green Onions chopped
For the Mac & Cheese
- 1 lb Cavatappi
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 2 cups Milk
- 1 tsp Ground Mustard
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 3 cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Start water boiling for pasta. Preheat oven to 350degF
- Once water is boiling add pasta and cook as directed on on package. Drain in colander and return to pot, away from heat.
- In a sauce pan over medium-high heat, add butter and garlic powder. Once melted whisk in flour and let cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in milk, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Let cook another 2 minutes then add in heavy cream. Let cook another 2 minutes and stir in cheese. Once fully melted, pour over cooked pasta and toss to evenly coat.
- Transfer mac and cheese to 13×9 baking dish. Spoon chili over top of mac and cheese. Sprinkle with sausage chunks over chili. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Place in oven for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with green onions.
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 tbsp Dried Minced Garlic
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- ½ cup Honey
- ½ cup Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Chili Powder
- 1 9oz can Tomato Paste
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 15oz can Kidney Beans drained
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add ground beef, onion and garlic. Cook and crumble until no longer pink.
- In a bowl combine honey, ketchup, chili powder, worcestershire sauce, tomato paste and water.
- Add mixture to ground beef along with bean. Bring just to a bubble then reduce heat to medium low and cover. Stir occasionally and let simmer 30 minutes.
I love to link up my posts to lots of blogs around the internet – check out this Ultimate Handy Linky Party List to find some of the places I share to!
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!