I love Chicken Alfredo, but it is definitely a carb loading meal with all the fettuccini. So I wanted to try to make a version that was a little more friendly to a low carb lifestyle. That’s when it hit me – bell peppers would be the perfect vessel for a chicken alfredo sauce. Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Peppers are packed with flavor and not all the pasta.
It is amazing how much a homemade sauce can make a meal sing. Making cheese sauces at home really is not that difficult and you know exactly what is in it. Jarred sauces usually have some stuff in there that you don’t really want to make it shelf stable. Don’t get me wrong, there are some tasty jarred sauces out there, and you could absolutely make these stuffed peppers with your favorite jarred Alfredo (could also use rotisserie chicken to make it even easier). But I hope you will give the homemade sauce a try, it is so worth it and takes less than 10 minutes.
Some people like to make stuffed pepper in a whole pepper with the top cut off. And you can definitely do that with this recipe. Why do I cut them in half? More surface area for cheese!! Yes it’s all about the cheese. I love cheese so very much and so does my whole family, so any chance to get more cheese into a meal is taken.
As I mentioned, I developed this recipe to have a low carb version of Chicken Alfredo. But if you come to the blog often, you know my family has several “carbivores”. Which means that I needed to provide some sort of bread to go with this. I just did a simple baguette cut into pieces, sprayed with avocado oil and then sprinkles with garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Eight minutes in a 400deg oven to warm them up. If you wanted to stick with the low carb, you could add in a Caesar salad or maybe a simple antipasto.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Peppers
- 1½ lb Chicken Thighs boneless and skinless
- 1 qt Chicken Broth
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning divided
- 1 cup Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 6 Bell Peppers halved lengthwise and cleaned
For the Sauce
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese
- In a sauce pan over medium-high heat, add chicken, garlic, 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning, and chicken broth. Cook for 15 minutes. Remove chicken from broth and reserve the broth. Shred chicken and add to a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 400degF.
- In another sauce pan over medium heat, add butter. Once melted, whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in 1 cup of reserved chicken broth. Let cook for 2 minutes then whisk in heavy cream. Let cook for 2 minutes then stir in parmesan cheese. Once melted together, pour over chicken in bowl. Stir to combine.
- On a parchment paper covered baking sheet line out bell pepper halves. Fill each with a heaping potion of chicken alfredo. Then sprinkle each with mozzarella, parmesan cheese and remaining Italian seasoning. Bake in oven for 25 minutes. Let rest at least 5 minutes before serving.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!