Do you ever just get a craving for a very specific taste? The other day when deciding what to make for dinner, all I could think about was some cheesy garlicky alfredo sauce – but we had had pasta the night before and two days before that. So I put on my thinking cap and decided to give Alfredo Chicken & Potatoes a try and it was worth the risk, indeed!
I love to make my own sauces, and alfredo is one of those sauces that I make regularly. It really is one of the easiest sauces to make from scratch. Because I wanted it to have that extra taste of flavor, I decided to use fresh minced garlic. You can make it with garlic powder, if you don’t have fresh on hand, it just won’t have the same punch of garlic flavor. I also strongly urge you to use shredded parmesan and not grated. If you the temperature is not exactly right when you add grated parmesan, you some times get a grainy consistency in the end.
You will notice that it says to use two 8×8 baking dishes for this recipe. I did this because I wanted the potatoes to cook more quickly, and if you put them in a larger dish (say a 13×9), the center may not cook through by the time the ones on the outside are done. I know it creates a little extra work, but it will be worth it. It is also great opportunity to omit the spinach from one if some of your family don’t like that.
I would definitely call this an all in one meal, you are not really going to need any sides. About the only side you might want is a bit of garlic bread, maybe, but it’s really not necessary. The potatoes and cheese and chicken are plenty when it comes to being a full meal, and the spinach makes sure that you get your veggies in there too!
PS —- this alfredo sauce recipe is an amazing bread dip or pizza sauce! Probably the biggest issue I have when I’m make it is every one wants to grab a spoon and “check it for me”
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Alfredo Chicken & Potatoes
- 2 8×8 Baking Dishes
- 3 lb Baby Potatoes halved
- 2 cup Fresh Spinach roughly chopped
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
For the Chicken
- 3 lb Chicken Breast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
For the Alfredo
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 6 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 tbsp Flour
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Preheat Oven to 375degF
- In a saucepan over medium high heat, add butter. Once melted add garlic and saute for 3 minutes. Then whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Next whisk in heavy cream and cook for 2 minutes. Then add pepper and broth and cook for 2 minutes. Last add parmesan cheese and cook until fully incorporated.
- Add chicken and seasoning to a bowl and toss to coat.
- Spray each of the baking dishes lightly with cooking spray. Layer each dish with half of the potatoes, half of the spinach then half of the chicken. Sprinkle each with a cup of mozzarella cheese. Next ladle in half of the alfredo, evenly, into each pan. And last layer on half of the remaining parmesan cheese on each.
- Place in oven and bake for 1 hour. Let cool at least 5 minutes before serving.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!