Sometimes I find myself with an extra window of time to make dinner, so I like to go the extra mile. This recipe for Chicken Alfredo Roll-ups may be a little extra labor, but it so worth it in the end. The creamy homemade alfredo sauce melts down into the rolled up pasta stuffed with garlicky chicken, parmesan ricotta and fresh spinach.
You are going to want to hang on to this homemade alfredo sauce recipe for other dishes. It is so simple but so velvety. I mention in the recipe that you may want to reserve some of the sauce for using as a breadstick dip, or better yet make extra, its that good. The real key in the black pepper. It is best if you have fresh cracked coarsely ground black pepper, like from a pepper mill. You want to get the sharp pepper throughout the sauce.
I like to use the lasagna noodles with the ribbon edges for these roll-ups. They really let you get it all into a nice bite. The lasagna sheets just don’t have the same length to get the effect of layers like a in a lasagna but in the convenience of a roll-up. I say convenience because this makes it so much easier to serve up. You know how when you make a beautiful lasagna with yummy layers and when you go to serve it up, inevitably, at lease one person’s plate is going slip apart and end up a big pile. Still tastes great, just don’t look great. These roll-ups take care of that issue every time.
This is also a great make-ahead or meal train meal. You can make everything right up to the final bake. Wrap it in plastic wrap and either freeze or refrigerate until ready to bake. If baking from refrigerator add 10 minutes to bake time. If baking from freeze, double the cook time and cover with foil for the first half of cook time.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Chicken Alfredo Roll-ups
- 18 Lasagna Noodles
- 2 lb Chicken Thighs boneless, skinless
- 4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 qt Chicken Broth
- 16 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning see recipe below
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 2 cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded, divided
- 1 tsp Parsley
For the Alfredo
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 400deg. Start water boiling for noodles
- In a saute pan over medium-high heat, add chicken broth, chicken and garlic. Let cook for 20 minutes.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add butter, and garlic powder. Once melted, whisk in flour. Cook for 2 minutes, then whisk in chicken broth. Cook for 2 minutes, then whisk in heavy cream and black pepper. Add parmesan, whisk and cook until fully melted. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine ricotta cheese, Italian seasoning and 1 cup of mozzarella.
- Add noodles to boiling water and cook for 5 minutes LESS than package directs (they need to be pliable but not fully cooked). Drain in colander and rinse with cool water.
- Build roll-ups starting with smear of ricotta, layer of spinach, portion of chicken and sprinkle of parmesan cheese. Roll up and layer into baking dish (2 9×9 pans work best). Repeat with remaining noodles. (See photo in post)
- Pour alfredo sauce evenly over rolls. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and parsley. Place in oven for 20 minutes. Let cool for 5 minutes before serving.
- **The Alfredo makes a great breadstick dip, so reserve some if serving with breadsticks.
I love to link up my posts to lots of blogs around the internet – check out this Ultimate Handy Linky Party List to find some of the places I share to!
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!