Take a break on taco night with this super easy to put together one pot meal this week. Sometimes you just don’t have the time to pull together all of the components of a great chicken taco meal. It’s easier to combine the different parts of a taco platter than to make the whole spread. Chicken Taco Pasta is a perfect weeknight dinner for when you want the great flavors of chicken tacos but all in one pot.
For this recipe I choose to use black beans for two reasons. Black beans are a slightly smaller bean which works better with the pasta. Blacks beans also have a slightly healthier edge to them with great protein and antioxidants. You can use pinto beans if that is your preference, just be extra careful when stirring in the cream and cheese. Pinto beans are much softer than black beans, and they will mush up a little bit.
I provided my recipe for taco seasoning in the bottom of the pasta recipe. If you don’t want to make it or don’t have all the components, you can definitely use your favorite packets. A packet is typically around two tablespoons so, it’s a pretty easy swap out. I do suggest that you try to use a low sodium version, mostly because you get plenty of salt from the chicken broth. Also don’t skip the lime juice, it gives the extra zest.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Chicken Taco Pasta
- 1 12 inch deep saute pan with lid
- 1½ lb Chicken Breast cut into ½-inch strips
- 2 tbsp Taco Seasoning see recipe below
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ½ Medium White Onion chopped
- 2 15oz can Black Beans drained
- 1½ lb Short Pasta
- 1 qt Chicken Broth
- 1 8oz can Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 3 cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- ½ cup Cilantro chopped
- In a bowl, combine chicken, lime juice and taco seasoning.
- In large saute pan over medium high heat, add oil. Once hot, add onions and chicken. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Add black beans, tomato sauce, pasta, and chicken broth. Bring just to a bubble and reduce heat to medium. Make sure all of the pasta is submerged and cover with lid. Let cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and add heavy cream and cheese. Stir to combine. Replace lid and let cook another 5 minutes.
- Serve with sprinkle of cilantro.
I love to link up my posts to lots of blogs around the internet – check out this Ultimate Handy Linky Party List to find some of the places I share to!
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!