There is just something about a creamy cheesy beefy tomato sauce over a pasta that calls out for family dinner time. When you can make the pasta element a cheesy tortellini, you get to level up on the yum factor. This recipe for Creamy Beef Tortellini is going to be a perfect addition to your weekly rotation.
I used refrigerated cheese tortellini for this recipe. You can use frozen tortellini but you will want to put it out on the counter to thaw some while you prepare the sauce. There is no need to pre boil frozen or fresh tortellini, as it will cook while simmering in the sauce. You could also use a different variety of stuffed pasta like a herbed cheese filling, tri-color tortellini or even a cheese ravioli. I just wouldn’t suggest using a meat filled one, unless it was beef as the flavors might not mesh well.
Whenever I make a tomato based sauce, I add in some honey. Some people will add regular white sugar, but I prefer honey. Don’t worry – this does not make the sauce sweet at all. The purpose of the sweetener is to cut the acidity of the tomatoes. This allows you to enjoy the true flavor of the tomatoes without that heartburn inducing acid level.
Breadsticks or garlic bread are gonna be the best side for this one. If you can find some bake at home breadsticks you will want to bake them as directed. Then brush with melted butter combined with garlic salt (the kind with parsley mixed in). These will be great for sopping up the yum sauce.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Creamy Beef Tortellini
- 2 lb Ground Beef
- ½ Medium Yellow Onion minced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 28oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 15oz can Tomato Puree
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded (plus more for garnish)
- 1 20oz pkg Cheese Tortelli fresh or frozen
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add ground beef, onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Cook and crumble until no longer pink.
- Reduce heat to medium and add crushed and pureed tomatoes, beef broth, honey, cream and parmesan. Stir to combine and let come just to a bubble. Reduce to medium low and cover with lid. Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove lid and add tortellini. Stir to submerge in sauce. Replace lid and let cook another 5 minutes. Serve with garnish of parmesan cheese and parsley, if desired.
Custom Instacart Link for this Recipe
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!