Cooking with fruit is a bit of a controversy in the culinary world. Some say it makes things too sweet – others say they don’t like cooked fruit unless it’s dessert. I have been playing around with it lately and really had some success. My latest creation is a Pineapple Chicken. It has a sort of Teriyaki BBQ Sauce that mixes so well with the sweetness of the pineapple.
I like to use bone-in chicken for dishes like this – because you want them to stay together in individual pieces and not falling apart. Which they will because the sauce makes it just so tender! The sauce is very simple to put together too! It cooks so well along with the chicken. You could certainly use other cuts of chicken (bone-in or boneless), just keep in mind that it will serve up differently.
You could serve this on it’s own or maybe with an Asian Slaw. I decided to make some ginger rice to accompany it. Just 2 cups of long grain rice, 1 qt of chicken broth and a tablespoon of fresh grated ginger in a covered pot. Put it on medium heat and cook for 20 minutes.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
- 8 Chicken Thighs, bone-in, skin-on
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 Yellow Onion minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 20oz can Pineapple Rings in own juices cut in half, reserve juices
- 3 Scallions chopped, for garnish
For the Sauce
- 1 tbsp Ginger grated
- 1 15oz can Tomato Puree
- ¼ cup Coco Aminos
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 1 tbsp Rice Vinegar
- ¼ cup Honey
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- In a large sauce pan over medium high heat, add oil, onions and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes. Sprinkle Chicken with salt and pepper. Place chicken skin down in pan and cook for 5 minutes. Flip chicken and cook another 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients and juice from can of pineapple. Pour sauce over chicken and reduce heat to medium.
- Place pieces of pineapple on each piece of chicken and cover with lid. Cook another 20 minutes.
- Serve chicken with piece of pineapple and sprinkle of scallions. Sprinkle with sesame seeds as well, if desired.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
7 thoughts on “Pineapple Chicken #ketofriendly”
YUM, looks good!! Thanks so much for linking up with me at the Unlimited Monthly Link Party 23. Pinned!
This is one that my husband will really enjoy! Looking forward to making it for him soon. Thanks for linking up
That looks amazing! I’m not usually one for cooked fruit but cooked pineapple with chicken is just delicious. Pinned.
I love cooked pineapple! It enhances the flavor and it goes great in Asian recipes! I am going to try this one!
Thank you for sharing at #OverTheMoon. We appreciate your shares. They have been Tweeted Pinned. Have a lovely week. I hope to see you at next week’s party too! Please stay safe and healthy. Come party with us at Over The Moon! Catapult your content Over The Moon! @marilyn_lesniak @EclecticRedBarn
I think pineapple makes a nice addition to many dishes!
Thank you for sharing your recipe at the Homestead Blog Hop!
I hope you come back!
Ridge Haven Homestead