Weeknight dinners and One Pot wonders are so close to synonymous – it’s comical! Being able to cook a whole dinner in a single pot and make your whole family happy is exactly what Homemade on a Weeknight is all about. And this Balsamic Chicken & Rice is a perfect example of creating a full of flavor dinner in a single pot!
Balsamic Vinegar is what you need to use for this dish. You do not want a vinaigrette or other dressing, it will change the flavor and the amount of oil in the dish. There is a difference, and it does matter. And you want to find something that is not the cheapest, but more middle of the road to get the actual balsamic flavor and not just a vinegar.
I made a quick focaccia to go with this dish. I just use my pizza dough recipes, drizzle with avocado oil and sprinkle with garlic powder and parsley. Put it in a 425 oven for 12-15 minutes. Should be a light golden brown. I like to cut it in half longwise and then into 1.5 inch strips.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Balsamic Chicken & Rice
- ½ Red Onion diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 lb Chicken Breast cut into 1-in chunks
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 cup Balsamic Vinegar divided
- 3 cups Long Grain Rice
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, add oil, onion, and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes then add chicken, red pepper flakes, parsley and half of balsamic. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Add rice and stir to combine, cook for 3 minutes mores. Add chicken broth, reduce heat to medium and cover. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove lid and add remaining balsamic and heavy cream. Cook for 2 minutes then add cheese. Stir to combine, cook another 2 minutes and serve it up!
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!