One of the best ways to make your burgers a little more gourmet is to model them after another great flavor profile. And that’s exactly what I did with this particular burger recipe. If your family is like mine and lives for a weekly burger night – then you are going to love this recipe for Pork Bahn Mi Burgers! It packs a delicious flavor punch that will make the tastebuds dance.
When making a baked burger patty, it’s important that they are all the same size so that they bake at the same rate. I use a burger patty press to ensure they are uniform. Another important step to burger patties with veggies mixed in is to microplane them – as I did with the carrots. This makes sure the flavor is dispersed well without having giant chunks that don’t cook through.
This recipe calls for a big punch of heat – with the raw jalapeños slices and the Sriracha Mayo. Not to mention the bold flavor of diakon radish (it’s way past the peppery notes of red radish). If you need to cut the heat on one or multiple layers, I would suggest omitting the jalapeños slices first, then the Sriracha Mayo (use just mayo on it’s own), and lastly, swapping out red radish for the diakon. Keep in mind that Bahn Mi is supposed to have the heat, so don’t remove all three, or it is not really going to be a Bahn mi.
Since this a burger – fries are the obvious side. If you go fries or tots, I would strongly suggest making extra Sriracha Mayo for fry dip. It’s so delightful and highlights the burger flavors to wrap it all together. If you don’t want to go fries I would actually suggest a small green salad. It keeps things like and fresh.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Pork Bahn Mi Burgers
- 6 Brioche Burger Buns
- ⅔ cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Sriracha
- 1 Cucumber sliced
- 1 Jalapeno sliced
For the Patty
- 2 lb Ground Pork
- ½ cup Carrots microplaned
- ¼ cup Cilantro finely chopped
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Fresh Ginger grated
- 1 tbsp Lemongrass grated
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tbsp Sriracha
For the Asian Slaw
- 1 cup Carrots matchsticks
- 1 cup Daikon Radish matchsticks
- ½ Medium Red Onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup Cilantro finely chopped
- ½ cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- ¼ cup Toasted Sesame Oil
- ¼ cup Honey
- 1 tsp Salt
- Preheat oven to to 350degF.
- In a bowl, combine slaw ingredients and toss well to evenly coat. Cover bowl and place in refrigerator until ready to build burgers.
- In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine patty ingredients. Form into six ¾inch patties. Place on a baking rack over a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise and Sriracha. Set aside.
- Build the burger – smear bottom bun with mayo mixture and top with layer of cucumber slices. Place patty on top and add portion of slaw. Next add layer of jalapeno slices. Smear top bun with mayo mixture and place on top of burger. Press down slightly to help hold it all together.
I love to link up my posts to lots of blogs around the internet – check out this Ultimate Handy Linky Party List to find some of the places I share to!
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!