Lemon and garlic make such a great flavor profile for some many proteins, but it especially sings when you add it to chicken and grill it up! The bright citrus notes play so well with the pungent garlic flavors to give the simple chicken a full bodied flavor. And then grilling it up adds that smoky layer to round it all out. These Lemon Garlic Chicken Skewers are perfect for a weeknight meal or even elevated enough to serve up for Sunday supper too!
The marinating time of this particular recipe is key to it’s success. You want to make sure that it has enough time to penetrate the meat all the way through. That’s why it’s also important to cut the meat into cubes before you add the marinade. This allows the flavors to really get into every piece evenly. I prefer to use gallon sized zippered bags when I’m marinating meats. This allows me to easily and quickly flip the meat around during the process, to ensure all pieces are getting the attention. It’s also super easy clean up, as I can just toss them after I’m done.
As I mention in the recipe, you can use metal or bamboo skewers for this one. I prefer to use the metal ones because they are easier to maneuver on the grill as well as do not catch on fire. While the hack is to soak the bamboo style ones in water to reduce the amount of charring and burning on the skewers, you usually still get some. The metal ones are also reusable and that’s always a bonus.
The last time I made these I paired it with my Creamy Garlic Shells and was a great meal all around. The lovely garlic flavors of this pasta side dish goes so well with the chicken. You could also use this grilled chicken as a topper for a great entree salad or roll it up in a tasty wrap – like a Chicken Caesar Wrap.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Lemon Garlic Chicken Skewers
- 15 Skewers metal or bamboo (if bamboo, soak in water for an hour)
- 2 lb Chicken Breast cut into 1inch cubes
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- ⅓ cup Oil
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tsp Oregano
- 2 tsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Add chicken breast cubes to gallon sized zippered bag. Combine remaining ingredients in a small bowl. Pour over chicken and seal bag. Squish around to evenly coat chicken. Let marinate at least 4 hours (up to 24 hours).
- Preheat grill to medium-high (425degF).
- Add marinated chicken cubes to skewers (approximately 8 to each skewers). Discard marinade.
- Grill for 10 minutes then spin to other side and grill another 10 minutes. Remove from grill. Either serve on skewers or remove from skewer before serving.
I love to link up my posts to lots of blogs around the internet – check out this Ultimate Handy Linky Party List to find some of the places I share to!
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!