The other night I went to make the dinner that I had planned to make and realized that I had not gone to the grocery to get the few things that I needed to make it. When this happens it immediately becomes a game of Chopped Challenge! What do I have in the house that I can turn into a delicious dinner, that the family will actually eat. I often go straight to what cheese do I have and what pasta do I have. That’s how the chicken I had taken out for another dish became Broccoli Mac & Cheese!
I have used dried minced onion for quite some time now – it’s such a time saver. But I have recently discovered the amazing use of dried minced garlic! I usually use the fresh minced garlic in a jar that you keep in the refrigerator. But when I was making my everything bagel pull-apart bread, I found the dried minced garlic and I am in love! If you haven’t tried using it, you will want to give it a go. If you prefer the fresh stuff – you can certainly use 2-3 garlic cloves in it’s place.
For the broccoli, you can use fresh or frozen for this recipe. I add in the broccoli in the last 5 minutes because I prefer it to still have a bite to it, and not get mushy at all. If you want to cook it a little more, you can add it sooner or let it cook longer. I really love to keep it bright green and have a nice texture difference from the rest of the meal.
This dish also reheats well, so it makes a great make-ahead meal prep recipe. It is very filling, so you probably do not need a side item at all. Especially since it has the protein, starch and veg all in one! That’s one of the best one pot meals – all inclusive for not just the dish but the whole meal.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Broccoli Mac & Cheese
- 2 lb Chicken Thighs boneless, skinless
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Dried Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Dried Minced Onion
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 lb Short Pasta
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp Ground Mustard
- 2 cups Broccoli flowerettes
- 3 cups Cheddar Cheese finely shredded
- In a large sauce pan over medium high heat, add oil, onion and garlic. Let cook for 2 minutes then add chicken, salt, pepper and paprika. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth and pasta to pan. Bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in heavy cream, ground mustard and broccoli. Replace with lid and cook another 5 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, stir in cheese and replace lid. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
Custom Instacart Link for this Recipe
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!