Beef and broccoli over rice is a fairly common and classic take-out order. But why not make it yourself at home? This recipe for Beef Broccoli & Rice needs to be a staple on your weeknight rotation because it’s not just a great make at home version of the takeout but it’s also doen in 30 minutes- perfect for a weeknight dinner.
Make sure to use fresh broccoli for this recipe, not frozen. If you use frozen, it will seize the sauce, and the broccoli will not cook through. The sauce here relies on simmering after being added to a hot pan. If you add frozen veggies to it, the temp will drop and sauce with break.
You can use long grain white rice for this, or you can go for a Calrose style sticky rice – it’s really about preference. I know rice can be serious business for some folks, so definitely use what your family is accustomed to.
Thirty minute meals are the top of the weeknight meal heap. We don’t always have a bunch of time to focus on making dinner in the middle of the week. What makes this recipe great is that you only have to be active cooking for half of the total cook time. Then it’s just simmer and serve!
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Beef Broccoli & Rice
- 2 cups White Rice
- 1 qt Broth vegetable, or beef
- 2 tbsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 2 lb Skirt or Flank Steak cut into ½-inch strips
- 3 cups Broccoli Florets
- 1 Medium White Onion cut into ½-inch strips
For the Sauce
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- ½ cup Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup Sherry Vinegar
- ¼ cup Cornstarch
- ½ cup Brown Sugar
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 tbsp Fresh Ginger minced
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, add broth and rice. Cover and cook for 17 minutes. Remove from heat but do not remove lid until ready to serve.
- Combine Sauce ingredients in a bowl.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add oil. Once hot, add onions and beef. Cook, while moving around in pan, for 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli and sauce. Stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium, cover with lid and let cook for 15 minutes.
- Spoon Beef Broccoli mixture over portion of rice. Garnish with sesame seeds, if desired.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
8 thoughts on “Beef Broccoli & Rice”
This looks so tasty, I would love to try 🙂
It’s got amazing flavor for sure
Perfect recipe for hubby. Thanks so much for linking up at the Unlimited Link Party 97. Shared.
This looks so good! Thanks for sharing this post at the What’s for Dinner party. Have a great weekend.
I have chosen this dish from takeaways before but never considered making it at home. It does look a little easier than expected… and just as delicious! Sim x
Hopped over from Unlimited Linky Party #97
This looks so delicious. It’s one of my favorites when I go out to a Chinese restaurant, but I don’t think I’ve ever made it! Pinned
I hope you enjoy it! It’s pretty darn close to the takeout version