Pizza is a definite favorite in our home. We like it all from the classic pepperoni and cheese to the more elaborate styles like Cubano Pizza, Sausage & Peppers Pizza, or Pesto Chicken Pizza. The great thing about pizza is you can really pile on any type of flavor profile and it’s likely to be tasty. And because it’s pizza, most kids will at least give it a go. I had been craving BBQ chicken pizza but so many places use that super sweet sauce that makes it taste almost like candy. My solution – make my own BBQ sauce that I know we will love to make Sweet Bourbon BBQ Chicken Pizza.
This was my first time using ground chicken on a pizza but it will not be my last! It gives such a wonderful texture and it is so much easier to eat because you don’t get chunks of chicken falling off. I also did this sort of deep dish style – with an extra layer of cheese under the sauce. It was so tasty, because the sauce sank down into the melty cheese for great flavor.
The star of this pizza is the homemade BBQ sauce. You might want to save the recipe for the sauce to use on your next rack of ribs! I use Jim Beam every time I cook with Bourbon. It has such a great flavor, and doesn’t break the bank. You can use your favorite bourbon for this sauce. Just remember, as with wine, don’t cook with it if you wouldn’t drink it. When you cook with any type of alcohol, you concentrate the flavor, so you want to be sure you enjoy it to begin with. For this sauce, the bourbon gives a great smoky flavor – which is exactly what you want if you are going to call it a BBQ Chicken Pizza.
This would be great with a classic green side salad, if you needed it. We were down a kid (pep band practice) so we didn’t need a side. But I’m sure he would have eaten a whole one of these to himself if he was around. It would also be fun to make one BBQ Chicken Pizza and one Pepperoni and cheese to mix it up.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Sweet Bourbon BBQ Chicken Pizza
- 2 Pizza Dough see recipe below or use pre-made
- 3 cups Cheddar Cheese
- 6 slices Bacon cut into ¼-inch pieces
- ½ Red Onion thin sliced
- Cooking Spray
For the Chicken
- 1 lb Ground Chicken
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
For the Sweet Bourbon BBQ Sauce
- 1 15oz can Tomato Puree
- ½ cup Ketchup
- ¼ cup Bourbon
- ¼ cup Honey
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Dried Minced Onion
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Celery Salt
- 1 tsp Ground Mustard
- Preheat oven to 425degF. Spray 2 13×9 baking dishes with cooking oil.
- Add all ingredients for sauce to a sauce pan over medium heat. Bring just to a boil, stirring often. Then reduce heat to low and let simmer until ready to build pizzas.
- Add bacon to large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook until crispy and remove to a paper towel covered plate. Reserve about 2 tablespoons of grease in the pan.
- Stretch pizza dough over baking dish, draping edges over top edge to make a "deep dish" crust. Place in oven for 7 minutes.
- Add ground chicken and seasonings to frying pan with bacon grease. Cook and crumble until no longer pink.
- Remove pizza crusts from oven. Sprinkle each with 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Then spread half of bbq sauce, half of chicken, half of bacon, half of onions and half of remaining cheese on each. Return to oven to bake for another 12-15 minutes. Let rest in baking dish for at least 5 minutes before trying to remove and slice.
- 4 cups Flour
- 1 tbsp Yeast instant
- ⅓ cup Avocado Oil
- 1½ cup Warm Water
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil for bowl
- Prepare all of the ingredients
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Pour in water while stirring. Then add olive oil and continue to mix by hand. Mix until a sticky dough forms.
- Brush the insides of a second bowl with avocado oil and transfer ball of dough. Cover with towel or plastic wrap and let rise at least 1 hour. Dough should approximately double in size.
- Once risen, place dough on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Stretch and press it out until you cover the baking sheet with ¼ inch thick crust.
- Place in 400 deg oven for 15 minutes.
- Continue to pizza recipe directions.
- If making for focaccia – brush with oil and add desired seasoning. Then bake for 15 minutes in 425 deg oven.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!