Pizza is so popular in my home – half of my kids would eat it every day if I let them. I will admit that pizza is one of my favorite guilty pleasures. Seriously, what is not love – cheese, bread, meats, veggies, and delish sauce! I really like that I can do all sorts of different flavor combos. Like this Sausage & Pepper Pizza – an easy and delicious classic.
I have included a recipe for pizza dough below – but you can totally use store-bought dough. I just encourage you to get the uncooked variety that either can be rolled out or spread out (not the pre-formed or pre-cooked). As a side-note – you can use the same pizza dough recipe to make focaccia bread – just drizzle with oil sprinkle with minced garlic and Italian seasoning and you are good to go.
We like square pizza in our house, and not a huge amount of crust. So I usually put sauce almost to the edges. You can make it just how you like – on a round stone or pan. Depending on how many you are serving – you might want to add in a simple green side salad to go with it.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Sausage & Pepper Pizza
- 2 Pizza Dough Recipes see below
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 6 Roasted Garlic Sausage sliced on the bias
- 2 Red Bell Peppers sliced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper sliced
- 1 White Onion sliced
- 8 slices Provolone chopped
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
For the Sauce
- 1 28 oz Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 15 oz Tomato Puree
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Onion
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 425deg.
- Cover 2 large baking sheets with parchement paper. Spread a recipe of dough out on each and brush with oil. Place in oven for 10 minutes.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, add ingredients for the sauce. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes. Reduce to low and let simmer while dough cooks.
- Remove pizza crusts from oven. For one pizza, spread half of sauce over top of crust. Sprinkle with ⅓ of provolone cheese, ½ of bell pepper, ½ of onion, and ½ of sausage. Repeat on second pizza. Sprinkle each with half of remaining provolone and parmesan cheese. Place in oven and cook for 15 minutes. Remove and let cook for 5 minutes before cutting.
- 4 cups Flour
- 1 tbsp Yeast instant
- ⅓ cup Avocado Oil
- 1½ cup Warm Water
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil for bowl
- Prepare all of the ingredients
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Pour in water while stirring. Then add olive oil and continue to mix by hand. Mix until a sticky dough forms.
- Brush the insides of a second bowl with avocado oil and transfer ball of dough. Cover with towel or plastic wrap and let rise at least 1 hour. Dough should approximately double in size.
- Once risen, place dough on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Stretch and press it out until you cover the baking sheet with ¼ inch thick crust.
- Place in 400 deg oven for 15 minutes.
- Continue to pizza recipe directions.
- If making for focaccia – brush with oil and add desired seasoning. Then bake for 15 minutes in 425 deg oven.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
3 thoughts on “Sausage & Pepper Pizza”
We make a lot of pizza too. And we like to try different ideas – this looks delicious! Thanks for sharing at the What’s for Dinner party. Enjoy the rest of your week!
Homemade pizza is the best! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!