What does weeknight dinner mean to you? Do you dread it? Are you scared of it? You really shouldn’t be…because cooking real food on a weeknight is nothing to be scared of. You can – you just have to prep for it. You plan ahead with planning out by the month – or at least the week – and you are golden. Making sure you have the ingredients on hand is all it really takes to make real food any night of week. Chicken in one of the best weeknight proteins and Cheesy Pepper Chicken is at the top of the list!
My boys literally fought over who got the last “extra” piece of chicken. It was so easy and so simple but so flavorful and so yummy! While it may not look like much, when you “smoosh” the baked cream cheese over the chicken and make a bite of cream cheese, chicken and peppers —- you are going to be so thrilled with it.
You can use this taco seasoning recipe for any type of taco meat or fajitas if you like. I like it so much more than the pre-made, store-bought stuff – mostly because they add so much salt for no reason.
I served this with my “spanish rice”. Which is just oil and 2 cups rice, toasted until white. Add green chilies, a can of tomato sauce and a quart of chicken broth. Over medium high heat, place the lid on and cook for 18 minutes. Easy and delicious every time.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Cheesy Pepper Chicken
- 8 Chicken Thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 Red Bell Pepper thin sliced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper thin sliced
- 1 Yellow Bell Pepper thin sliced
- ½ Yellow Onion thin sliced
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 8 oz Cream Cheese cut into ½inch slices
- 1 cup Cheddar finely shredded
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 375ddeg.
- Combine taco seasoning ingredients. Divide in half.
- In a bowl, combine onion, bell peppers, oil and half of taco seasoning. Toss to well coat.
- In a 13×9 dish, add pepper mixture. Place chicken pieces on top. Sprinkle with remaining taco seasoning. Place a slice of cream cheese on each. Cover all with shredded cheese.
- Place in oven and cook for 30 minutes.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!