Casseroles and Bakes are so perfect for weeknight meals – I know I have said this before but it bears repeating because it’s true. And sausage and pasta make a great combination but it doesn’t always have to be in the Italian food profile. By using some different spices and flavors you can easily make something new. You gotta try this Tortellini Bake with your family soon – mine devoured it.
You can use any flavor of sausage you like. I used a garlic sausage – but a roasted red pepper would be really good too. You could also use a tortellini with more than just cheese in it or even the kind with spinach in the pasta. The sauce is the real star of this dish. My husband has already asked me to use it the next time I make a mac and cheese dish. The chili powder and cumin really give it a nice little kick.
This bake was enough on its own to make a meal but you could certainly do a side of garlic bread and/or a green salad. I had hoped to have some leftovers for lunch later in the week but the boys stopped just short of licking the dish clean – lol!
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
- 1½ lb Cheese Tortellini fresh or frozen
- 1½ lb Chicken Sausage cut in ½ inch coins
- 1 15 oz can Diced Tomatoes
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 2 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded, divided
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Parsley
- Preheat oven to 400deg.
- In a sauce pan over medium high heat, add butter. Once melted whisk in flour and cook for 3 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth and cook for 3 minutes. Whisk in heavy cream and cook for 2 minutes then add 1 cup of parmesan cheese. Once cheese is melted stir in chili powder, garlic powder and cumin.
- In a 13 x 9 baking dish, combine sausage, tortellini and tomatoes. Pour sauce over top and and stir to combine. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and parsley. Put in oven and bake for 30 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here: