I absolutely love it when dinner smells so good while it’s cooking, it brings the whole family from the corners of the house to the kitchen. I knew I had a come up with a great flavor profile with this casserole but I got an amazing response from the family. Cheesy, creamy, flavor packed Chicken & Corn Gratin was a complete win – and it was so easy to make!
Weeknight meals is all about ease of competition while still getting a great flavors from real foods. Making sauces from scratch really is not that hard to do – it just takes a few extra minutes – but the depth of flavor you get is amazing. Especially when you compare it to the over salted, low flavor you get from a packet. The cheese sauce in this recipe is super easy and can be used for all sorts of things. You could just put it over some pasta, use it in a more traditional potato au gratin side dish, or like my kids love – use it as a dipping sauce for toasted tortillas.
Lots of people shy away from using jalapenos in their cooking for few of spiciness. But when you take the seeds and spines out, you are left with an incredible flavor that does not have much heat to it. Chicken & Corn Gratin is a great way to discover that flavor – as it uses a small amount of seeded jalapeno. Give it a try!
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Chicken & Corn Gratin
- 1½ lb Chicken Breast, boneless, skinless cut into ½-in cubes
- 2 15 oz cans Sweet Corn drained
- 1 lb Bacon cut into ½-in pieces
- 1 Yellow Onion diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- ½ Jalapeno seeded and diced
- ¼ cup Butter
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 3 Scallions Diced
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 400deg.
- In a frying pan over medium high heat, add bacon. Cook until crispy and remove to a paper towel covered plate.
- In a sauce pan over medium high heat, add butter, onion and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes then add flour, salt and pepper. Whisk for 3 minutes then add chicken broth. Whisk for 3 minutes then add heavy cream. After 3 minutes, add parmesan cheese and half of cheddar cheese. Stir until fully incorporated.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, corn, jalapeno, half of green onions, and half of bacon. Add cheese sauce. Stir until well coated. Transfer to a 13×9 baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining cheese, scallions and bacon. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!