This is so far from what most people think of when you say “Chicken Salad” – mostly because it is not drowned in Mayo and it has Sweet Peppers in it to add even more crunch. This can be made ahead of time or served right when you complete it. To make the dish really tasty – do not forget to the toast up the bread. My Healthier Chicken Salad is perfect for a hot summer day or a dinner at the practice field!
The really big difference is the dressing – it is much less mayo – and I use avocado mayo to boot! With the apple cider vinegar and lemon juice, it is more a of a creamy vinaigrette. Then when you add in the sweet peppers you get a nutrient packed crunch! This one is sure to be a favorite in your house.
Bread or No Bread?
You can eat this Healthier Chicken Salad all on it’s own or you can put it in a lettuce cup or even on some toasted bread. I always like to toast bread for sandwiches so that it doesn’t get soggy from whatever sauce I have included. It’s one of those quick little touches that can make a meal just that extra bit better. Since this is such a simple dinner idea, I usually keep with that theme and serve it up with some cut fruit and potato chips. Not every dinner has to be a grand gesture!
By the way, this recipe is actually straight from my cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook. It can be found in the Healthier Fare section along with 19 other healthier versions of classic family meals. If you haven’t gotten a copy yet, now is your chance! You can order it on Amazon in Paperback or eBook (Kindle) versions.
Healthier Chicken Salad
- 12 slices Sourdough Bread
- ½ Red Onion diced
- 1 cup Sweet Peppers seeded & diced
- 1 cup Celery diced
For the Chicken
- 1½ lbs Chicken Breast
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Water
For the Dressing
- ½ cup Avocado Mayo
- ¼ cup Avocado Oil
- ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Basil
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- In a sauce pan over medium high heat, add ingredients for chicken. Bring to boil and cook for 10 minutes more. Remove chicken from pot and shred. Set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, combine the dressing ingredients and place in refrigerator.
- Either toast bread in regular toaster or put on baking sheet and toast all at once for 8-10 minutes in 425 deg oven.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients and chicken. Fold in dressing until well combined.
- You can serve right away, with a portion between two piece of toast. Or you can cover and chill for up to 3 days.
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!