Chicken Salad is a great weeknight dinner. You can make it ahead of time, or throw it together in a jiffy. It is also very flexible in flavors. In general, chicken salad is some sort of dressing, a few veggie and some shredded chicken mixed up and served on toast. In this version, I am putting together some Greek Flavors to create Mediterranean Chicken Salad.
In the recipe below, I give instructions to make your own chicken. But you could certainly use a rotisserie chicken or even left over baked chicken from another dinner. If you use some rotisserie chicken just be sure to season it some with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
Chicken salads are also great for weekly meal prepping as they last several days in the refrigerator and they are great cold or warmed up. This recipe is good for potlucks (put it out with a bag of pita chips) or picnics (bring a sliced up baguette) or BBQs (just serve it as side dish!).
Feta, Greek Yogurt and dill are all flavors that come to mind when I think of Greek or Mediterranean Foods. Garlic, lemon and chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) are a close second list. Fun Fact – chickpeas is the Latin based work and garbanzo bean is the Spanish word for the same legume! If you like these flavors you should also check out my Greek Pita Nachos (get the full recipe here) or my Lamb Pitas from my cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight!
Speaking of pitas – you could eat this Mediterranean Chicken Salad like a dip using pita chips. You could actually stuff a fresh pita with it or you wrap it up more like a gyro. Or my favorite way to eat it – on crusty bread roll that has been toasted with a little avocado oil.
Mediterranean Chicken Salad
- ½ cup Feta Cheese crumbled
- 1 English Cucumber diced
- 1 can Chickpeas (15 oz) rinsed & drained
- ½ cup Fresh Dill chopped
- 1 cup Cherry Tomatoes quartered
- ½ Red Onion thinly sliced
- 1½ lbs Chicken Breast
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Water
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 8 oz Greek Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Basil
- ½ tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 6 Brioche or Ciabatta Buns
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 425deg.
- In a small bowl, combine ingredients for dressing and place in refrigerator.
- In a sauce pan, add all ingredients for chicken. Bring to boil and let cook for 15 minutes. Once done, remove chicken from broth and shred. Set aside to cool before adding to salad.
- Brush each side of the bun with avocado oil and place on baking sheet. Put in oven for 10-12 minutes until toasted golden brown.
- In a large bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Add cooled shredded chicken. Fold in dressing.
- To serve, spoon a serving of chicken salad. You could garnish with additional dill or feta. You could also add some chopped Kalamata Olives if desired.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!