You know how much I love a good burger. And I am a a huge fan of taking classic flavor combinations and turning them in to a delicious burger. That is what I have done with these Buffalo Turkey Burgers. The huge flavors of buffalo chicken with blue cheese dressing piled high on a homemade turkey patty with fresh veggies.
This is what we like to call a Five Napkin Burger – because it is messy and needs lots of napkins but SOOOO worth it. Just like buffalo wings, you are going to have it all over your hands and face but it is going to taste so good. The blue cheese dressing paired with the buffalo hot sauce is so essential to getting the whole experience. I have included my recipe for Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing below the burger recipe. If you have a favorite jarred dressing, feel free to use that. I do add some paprika to mine to give it a little zing. For the buffalo hot sauce, I like to use the tried and true Franks Red Hot Original Buffalo Sauce. But again, use your favorite version – just make sure that its the thinner variety not a thick one.
I used ground turkey only because I feel like it holds together better. But you could definitely use ground chicken – but I would add more panko and perhaps an egg, to help it hold it’s shape. You could also go the other way and use beef or pork. It really is about preference. They will all taste slightly different but still delicious.
Whenever possible I like to bake the patties when I am using poultry – turkey or chicken. This helps it to cook more evenly as well as ensure that it will be cook all the way through, because we never want “a little pink” on turkey or chicken. I strongly suggest that you use the baking rack and baking sheet combo, so that the patties are not flat on the pan. And, of course, put down some parchment paper – there won’t be much in the way of drippings but the clean up is worth it.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Buffalo Turkey Burgers
- 6 Brioche Buns
- 6 leaves Red Leaf Lettuce
- ½ Red Onion thinly sliced
- 1 Tomato sliced
- ½ cup Buffalo Hot Sauce more, if desired
- 1 cup Blue Cheese Dressing see recipe below
For the Turkey Burger
- 2 lb Ground Turkey
- ¼ cup Buffalo Hot Sauce
- 1 cup Panko
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- ¼ cup Fresh Chives chopped
- ½ cup Green Onions chopped
- Preheat oven to 400degF.
- Combine burger ingredients in a mixing bowl. Separate into 6 equal portions. Form into patties (about ¾ inch thick). Place on a baking rack over a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Place in oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- If making blue cheese dressing fresh, make now, cover and place in refrigerator until ready to build the burgers.
- Split buns and place face up on a baking sheet. In the last 5 minutes of bake time, add to cover to toast slightly.
- Build the burger: Place lettuce, tomato and onion on bottom bun. Set burger on top. Add blue cheese dressing followed by a drizzle of hot sauce (as much as desired) and top with bun. Press down slightly to help hold together.
Homemade Blue Cheese Dressing
- 1 cup Mayonaisse
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 8 oz Blue Cheese Crumbles
- 1 tbsp Fresh Chives chopped
- 1 tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl or mason jar.
- Once thoroughly stirred together, cover and place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes before serving. Will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
I love to link up my posts to lots of blogs around the internet – check out this Ultimate Handy Linky Party List to find some of the places I share to!
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!