Sometimes I like to play dress up and make for fancy gourmet style food – and this turkey burger was a direct result of that. You may be a little unsure about the collection of ingredients in this burger recipe but you’ve got to trust me! These Rosemary Lemon Turkey Burgers are so super flavorful. The combination of the lemon zest, rosemary, gouda and raspberry preserves is next level.
You might be wondering why I decided to put raspberry preserves on a burger – but it is such a great flavor. You want to make sure that you get preserves or jam and not jelly. Jelly is only made from the fruit juice and tends to have a lot of added sugar, making it too sweet. Preserves are made from the whole fruit and jam is made from mashed fruit. Either will do for this recipe – basically make sure it has some seeds in it.
When you are zesting your lemon, make sure not to get much of the white rind (also called Pith). This is where that unpleasant bitter note comes from. You just want the bright citrus flavors from the yellow part of the lemon. I prefer a microplane for zesting. When you are picking your lemons at the grocery, you want to make sure that you do not pick one with a pale color or with an overly thick rind. You can tell if it has a thicker rind by looking at the place that was attached to the tree by the stem. If it is protruding significantly, you don’t want to selected it for the zesting.
One last lemon tip, zest first, then roll the lemon the counter, pressing down, before slicing to juice it. This breaks up the inside of the lemon and you will get more juice from it. For sides – I served this with my Potato & Onion Salad. It’s no mayo super simple potato salad with just a few ingredients. I think another great side for this gourmet style burger would be some truffle fries.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Rosemary Lemon Turkey Burgers
- 6 Brioche Buns
- 6 pieces Red Leaf Lettuce
- ½ Medium Red Onion sliced
- 6 slices Gouda
- 1 cup Raspberry Preserves
For the Burger
- 2 lb Ground Turkey
- 1 Egg beaten
- ¼ cup Dried Minced Onion
- ½ cup Bread Crumbs
- 2 tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 Large Lemon zest & juice
- Preheat oven to 375deg.
- In a bowl combine burger ingredients. Form into six patties (slightly larger than the size of your brioche buns). Place a baking rack on a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Line the patties out on the rack and place in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove patties from oven and place a slice of cheese on top of each patties. Return to oven for five minutes more.
- Build the Burger: Start with the bottom bun, place a piece of lettuce, then red onion slices. Place cheeseburger next. Spread preserves on top bun and place atop the burger. Press down slightly to help hold it all together.
Custom Instacart Link for this Recipe
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!