Buffalo chicken is usually associated with fried chicken wings – but some times you want to make a whole meal out of it. That’s where this crispy chicken tenders covered in buffalo sauce and a homemade blue cheese dressing comes into play. This Buffalo Chicken Sandwich is going to knock your socks off. Loaded up with lettuce, tomato and bacon (because why not) on a crusty roll, this sandwich really is a full meal deal.
You are going to want to save this blue cheese dressing recipe for general use. It is so simple but so packed with flavor. If you do want to make extra or save what’s left (if there is any), simply put it in an airtight container (like a mason jar with a lid) and store it in the refrigerator. It should keep for up to 10 days. This is a slightly thicker dressing than you might prefer for your salad. By adding a little more vinegar to the mix you can make it a more “pourable”, slightly thinner dressing. I would go one teaspoon at a time until you get to the desired thickness.
This sandwich is a big ol bite and will require several napkins. My family calls sandwiches and burgers like this 5 napkin meals. But the mess is part of the fun, not to mention totally worth it for this powerful flavor. Toasting the bun helps to insure that the bun doesn’t sog out before you get to the last bite, so I highly recommend that you don’t skip that step.
In true buffalo chicken fashion, I served these massive sandwiches up with carrot and celery sticks and a little of the blue cheese dressing for dipping. It was a fantastic combo and a nice break from the french fries. You could also do potato chips or a potato salad on the side. But honestly you may not even need a side as this thick stack up is quite filling!
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Buffalo Chicken Sandwich
- 6 Hoagie Rolls
- ½ lb Bacon cut in half
- 6 piece Green Leaf Lettuce
- 1 Large Tomato cut into slices and halved
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 2 cups Buffalo Hot sauce like Franks Red hot
For the Chicken
- 1½ lbs Chicken Tenderloins
- 3 cup Flour divided
- 3 Eggs beaten
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- Cooking Spray
For the Dressing
- ½ cup Mayonaisse
- ½ cup Sour Cream
- 1 tbsp Vinegar white or ACV
- 1 tbsp Dill
- 1 tbsp Dried Chives
- 1 cup Blue Cheese Crumbles
- Preheat oven to 400degF
- In a mixing bowl, combine ingredients for dressing. Cover bowl and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Set up a dredging station: Plate 1 – 1 cup flour, Plate 2 – beaten eggs, salt and pepper, and Plate 3 – 2 cups flour, garlic powder and cayenne pepper. Dredge each tenderloin in each plate (1-3) and set aside.
- In sauce pan over medium-low heat, add butter and hot sauce. Let simmer, stirring occasionally, until ready to serve.
- In a large, wide frying pan over medium-high heat, add enough oil to be ¾ inch deep. Once hot, fry breaded tenderloins for 4 minutes on each side. Remove to a wire rack. Continue until all chicken is cooked.
- In a separate frying pan over medium high heat, cook bacon until crispy. Remove to paper towel covered plate.
- Split rolls and lay out (inside up) on a baking sheet. Spray with cooking spray and place in preheated oven for 8 minutes.
- Place bottom of roll on plate, top with lettuce and tomato. Dunk chicken in hot sauce and place 2-3 piece on sandwich. Ladle blue cheese dressing over chicken. Add 3-4 pieces of bacon and finally top bun, pressing down slightly to help stay together.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!