Burgers are a staple in my house. In fact I recently published my second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight! It will be full of different burger ideas – like this one. The Grilled Apple Burger brings together the sweetness of an apple with a smoky gouda cheese for a delightful – and filling – burger!
I opted for the Honeycrisp apples because they not too sweet and not too tart. They are also a good size to put on a burger. You could probably use a Pink Lady or Fuji apple if you can’t find a honeycrisp. The key is you want it to be tender, not milly and you want it to have that mild apple flavor. When you grill it, you need to stay right there by the grill. If your grill is hot enough, the apples will grill up quickly.
If you can’t find smoked Gouda slices (Sargento and Tillamook both carry it) – you could get a block of gouda and slice it yourself or you could swap out for something else. I would suggest a Swiss cheese or Sharp White Cheddar. You need something that has a good contrast to the apple and bacon, something a little “tougher”.
For sides on this burger, I did a quick cucumber salad (cucumbers, red onions, oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and Italian Seasoning) and Fennel Parmesan Potatoes (oven-roasted potatoes then pan-fried in butter, fennel seed, and parmesan cheese). You could do a small green salad, fries, onion rings, potato salad, pasta salad….really just about any of the typical burger sides would do!
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Grilled Apple Burger
- 8 Brioche Buns
- 8 slices Smoked Gouda
- ½ lb Bacon cut in half
- 4 Honeycrisp Apples cut in ¼ inch slices
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 4 oz Whipped Cream Cheese
- ¼ cup Italian Dressing
For the Burger
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 lb Ground Pork
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Dried Onion
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high. Preheat oven to 450deg.
- In a bowl, combine burger ingredients. Form into 4-inch patties and cook on hot grill for 8 minutes on each side. Remove from grill, place slice of cheese on each patty and keep warm.
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, add bacon. Cook until crispy and remove to paper towel covered plate.
- Brush both sides of apple slices with lemon juice. After patties are grilled, place apple slices on grill and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side. (they should still be crisp).
- In a small bowl, combine cream cheese and italian dressing.
- Split buns and place face up on baking sheet. Place in oven for 5-7 minutes until lightly toasted.
- Build the Burger: Smear bottom bun with cream cheese mixture, top with cheese burger, 2-3 slices of bacon and 2 apple pieces. Secure top bun with long toothpick.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!