Not everyone thinks of citrus as a savory component but it really does make for a beautiful, bright flavor – especially with poultry. Rosemary Orange Chicken is a simple to put together main dish that will be so packed with flavor, you are going to want to savor every bite. The chicken comes out so tender and juicy it just falling off the bone!
I used a full sized navel orange for this dish with some organic orange juice. You could get several oranges and juice them yourself if you like. I also served it with the slice of orange on top – not just for aesthetic, but because it is so tasty! The orange takes on the yummy rosemary flavor too and is just delightful. You can add the sprig of rosemary for decoration, but I doubt anyone wants to gnaw on that!
I served this up with some Lemon Herb Couscous – another simple citrus based dish that goes very well with the Rosemary Orange Chicken. I used what’s known as Pearl or Israeli Couscous. Its considerably bigger than the Moroccan variety. But you could use either depending on your preference. Given that they cook very much the same way – you really just need to make sure your liquid ration is correct. I included the recipe for Lemon Herb Couscous below – in case you wanna check it out.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Rosemary Orange Chicken
- 10 Chicken Thighs, bone-in, skin on
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- ½ cup Chicken Broth
- ¼ cup Honey
- 2 sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Orange cut in slices and halved
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add avocado oil and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes. Sprinkle both sides of chicken with salt, pepper, rosemary and Italian Seasoning. Add chicken with skin down. Let cook for 4 minutes then turn over and let cook for 4 minutes more.
- In a small bowl, combine orange juice, broth and honey. Add to saute pan (pouring over chicken). Then place a slice of orange on top of each piece of chicken and add rosemary sprigs to pan. Cover with lid and let cook for 30 minutes.
- Serve chicken with orange slice on top.
Lemon Herb Couscous
- 1½ cup Pearl Couscous dry (also called Israeli Couscous)
- 3 cup Chicken Broth
- ½ Yellow Onion diced
- 1 Garlic Clove minced
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 Lemon juice & zest
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Prepare the ingredients.
- In a sauce pan over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp. of oil, onion, and garlic. Let cook for 2 minutes then add couscous, thyme, parsley and oregano. Stir to lightly toast for 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and lemon juice, bring to boil then reduce heat to medium-low. Cover with lid and let cook for 10 minutes more.
- Remove from heat, add lemon zest and stir to fluff.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
10 thoughts on “Rosemary Orange Chicken”
I had rosemary chicken before, but never thought of adding orange. This looks mouthwatering! Thanks for sharing at Fiesta Friday party!
Wow… this recipe looks super delicious!! thanks for sharing it with us at #alittlebitofeverything
Lovely, recipe, this looks doable and super delicious. Thanks for participating in Bloggers Pit Stop – Pit Stop Crew.
We have been eating so much chicken lately and I have been needing some new and different recipes for variety so this recipe is a welcome addition to my kitchen! It looks absolutely scrumptious! I have pinned it! Thanks for linking.
This looks so good! I must try it! ~ Sherry
This recipe looks delicious. I love rosemary chicken but the lemon would be even better together. Thanks so much for visiting and sharing with us at #HomeMattersParty