The slow cooker does not have to just be used for soups, stews and casseroles. You can use it to make the main protein portion of a dish like enchiladas, tacos, sandwiches and wraps. These Turkey & Sweet Onion Wraps are no exception. This meal is great for those nights when everyone in the family can’t eat at the same time – maybe someone has an after work meeting or someone has band practice or a sports event. You can leave the turkey and onions in the slow cooker on warm for several hours so everyone can make a hot wrap whenever they are ready.
You do want to make sure you use sweet onions and not white or red onions. You just do not get the same flavor from it. I know lots of people think “onions are onions” but that like saying a bell pepper is the same as a habanero pepper. Sure they both are peppers but do you really want to chomp down on a fresh habanero with a little ranch? There are tons of different onions and they are all good for different things.
If you are adverse to cabbage or have a person in the fam that is – this a great dish to try it out with. The “sour” note of the quick pickled cabbage perfectly balances out the enhanced “sweetness” from the onions. You get an incredible balance. You could also probably make this with chicken breasts – but the turkey tenderloins are something different but easy to find.
If you don’t want to wrap up the turkey and onions in a tortilla you could serve it over rice or even on it’s own with the purple slaw. I’m also going to try it with one of those cheese wraps I found at Costco.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Turkey & Sweet Onion Wraps
- Slow Cooker
- 8 Flour or Whole Wheat Tortillas 10-inch
- ½ Cabbage head shredded
- ¼ cup Avocado Oil
- 1 tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Sharp White Cheddar shredded
For the Turkey & Onions
- 4 lbs Turkey Tenderloins
- 1 cup Apple Cider
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Sweet Onions sliced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Parsley
- Add onions to bottom of slow cooker. Top with turkey thighs. In a small bowl combine remaining turkey ingredients and pour over top. Secure lid and cook for 8 hours on low or 5 hours on high.
- In the last 30 minutes of cook time, remove turkey to bowl. Shred turkey and return to slow cooker. Toss to coat and secure lid to continue cooking for remainder of cook time.
- In a bowl, combine cabbage, oil, vinegar and lemon juice. Toss to coat.
- Preheat a griddle to medium-high. Warm up tortillas for about a 45 seconds on each side before building the wrap.
- Build the wrap – lay out a tortilla and sprinkle with cheese. Using a slotted spoon, add a portion of turkey and onions. Top with cabbage. Fold ends over and roll up wrap. Cut in center on the diagonal to serve.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!