What I love about this soup is that it highlights the sweetness that garlic can take on. Using the garlic jelly does help with this but I have found that when you slow cook garlic, it tends to gain more of the sweet quality from garlic than the sharp quality. This simple and delectable soup is going to be in a win your rotation – Garlic Lovers Soup is perfect for slow cooker weeknight dinner.
You can find garlic jelly in the artisanal food section of your grocery, usually. But it really is super easy to make. And you can make just a couple of jars at a time with my easy recipe. You don’t need any fancy canning equipment or even a water bath or pressure cooker. You just need a pot and a couple of jars with lids and you are good to go! Check it out here: Garlic Jelly
Leeks and potatoes make such a nice combo. If you don’t like the flavor of leeks, you could certainly use a mild yellow onion in it’s place. Also if pork isn’t your thing – you could use a ground turkey – but I would suggest using the Italian sausage versions of ground turkey available to get the full flavor.
I served this with a simple buttered French bread. You could serve it with a green salad or even a corn bread if you wanted. It also does just fine all by itself because it has a nice hearty quality.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Garlic Lovers Soup
- 1½ lb Ground Pork
- 2 lb Yukon Gold Potatoes peeled and cubed to 1-inch pieces
- 1 Leek thin sliced, just the whites
- 1 cup Garlic Jelly see secondary recipe
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 6 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, brown ground pork.
- Transfer pork to slow cooker. Add potatoes, jelly, leeks, basil, parsley, and chicken broth. Cover and cook for 6.5 hours.
- Remove ⅓ of slow cooker contents to a bowl and blitz with immersion blender. Return to slow cooker, along with parmesan cheese and heavy cream. Stir to combine. Replace lid and cook another 20 minutes.
- Serve with extra parmesan cheese and parsley, if desired.
Garlic Lovers Jelly
- 2 pint canning jars with lids and seals
- 3 cups Sugar
- 2 cups White Vinegar
- 2 oz Pectin
- ½ cup Minced Garlic
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Place lids and rings in a warm water bath. Be sure jars are clean and dry.
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Bring to boil and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Ladle jelly into each jar leaving ¼ inch head space. Place lid on jar and screw on ring to seal. Let stand on counter for 30 minutes then place in refrigerator for at least 3½ hours.
- Will keep for 4 weeks unopened in refrigerator, 1 week once opened.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!