Root vegetables are often underrated when it comes to being the center of the main dish. What I love most about cooking with a variety of root veggies is how well they take in the flavors you use to cook them. Chicken Root Soup is like a warm hearty hug in a bowl. The beautiful combination of potatoes, carrots, celery, and parsnips is just delicious.
It is important to try to get all of the root vegetables cut into roughly the same sizes so that they cook up evenly. And putting the chicken in whole will make sure that it doesn’t dry out while cooking. By chopping it up after it’s cooked, you will get nice and succulent chicken throughout the whole soup.
This is a rustic soup but that doesn’t mean it can’t be pretty too. The depth of flavor is going to amaze you and your family. A lot of it comes from the slow cooker. By using the Slow Cooker to give the root veggies the low and slow treatment, they stay tender but absorb so much flavor. Tarragon is not one of the most common herbs to be used but it really has an amazing flavor that joins Rosemary and Thyme with perfection.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Chicken Root Soup
- Slow Cooker
- 1½ lb Chicken Breast
- 2 Russet Potatoes peeled & diced
- 2 Sweet Potatoes peeled & diced
- 2 Carrots diced
- 1 Parsnip diced
- 2 Celery Stalks chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- ½ Yellow Onion diced
- 1½ qt Chicken Stock
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1 tsp Tarragon
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 2 cup Heavy Cream
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- Add all ingredients EXCEPT the heavy cream to the slow cooker. Stir to combine and secure lid. Cook on low for 5½ hours.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and chop into bite-sized pieces. Remove half of soup to a separate bowl. Return chicken to slow cooker.
- Add heavy cream to soup transfered to separate bowl. Use an immersion blender to blitz until smooth. return to slow cooker and stir to combine. Secure lid and let cook for remaining 30 minutes.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
2 thoughts on “Chicken Root Soup #slowcooker”
Looks delicious! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!
Pinned! I do love a good soup. Thanks for sharing. #HomeMattersParty