When you can’t decide if you want a creamy soup or a chili stew – you put them together in the slow cooker and see what happens! Well turns out you get this amazing Creamy Chili Soup and everyone goes back for seconds! I was very pleasantly surprised how well this came together, so rich and creamy. Definitely a hearty soup for the colder weather.
This one does require a slow cooker (at least 7qt sized) and an immersion blender (some call this a stick blender). While most of the time I say you can use an immersion blender or a regular blender – this one would be very difficult to transfer. And really an immersion blender is such a valuable tool to have in your kitchen. I use mine several times a week. It makes great sauces, soups, mashed veggies.
I served this with some Cheddar Bay Biscuits. It was a toss-up between that and some Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread. You could also go with some salad or really any kind of roll or bread. It is a very hearty soup, so it doesn’t necessarily need a side dish.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Creamy Chili Soup
- Immersion Blender
- 1 lb Chicken Breast
- 1 lb Smoked Sausage cut into 1-in chunks
- 1 15oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 15oz can Kidney Beans
- 1½ qt Chicken Broth
- 2 8oz bricks Cream Cheese
- 2 tbsp Dried Minced Onion
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 tsp Parsley
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 2 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Add everything EXCEPT heavy cream and parmesan cheese to the slow cooker. Secure lid and cook on low for 5 hours.
- Remove chicken, sausage and most of beans from slow cooker. Chop up chicken.
- Add heavy cream and parmesan cheese to slow cooker and blitz until smooth with immersion blender.
- Return chicken, sausage and beans to slow cooker. Secure lid and cook for 1 hour more.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!