Most Shrimp boil or gumbo recipes have either rice or potatoes involved – making them not the most keto friendly. So to get all the yummy flavors of a cajun shrimp dish, I decided to use whipped cauliflower instead! Cajun Shrimp over Whipped Cauliflower was so dang good – the whole family loved it down to the last bite.
You could add more veggies to this if you wanted to get a more gumbo like flavor – but keep in mind that beans and corn will increase the carb count. You could add some bell peppers when you add the onions.
This dish is fairly simple to put together and easy to serve up. The pan gravy really brings it all together. The gravy gives it just that little something extra and balances the flavors. You can omit the lemon juice in the cauliflower – but I really like the way it brightens the flavor.
If you can’t take the heat – you can lessen the cayenne pepper or remove it all together. My kids have come to love food with a little kick – so we can make it full strength. I always try really hard to not tell them “it’s going to be spicy” so that they give it a real chance. If they don’t like it, you can always give the whole plate a squeeze of lemon juice. The acidic juice will cut the heat of the cayenne pepper, making it more palatable. You can also add more cauliflower to the plate so they can mix it in more.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Cajun Shrimp over Whipped Cauliflower
- 1 lb Jumbo Shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 lb Andouille Sausage cut in ¼ inch coins
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil
- ½ White Onion diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- ½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Nutmeg
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Coarse Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Corn Starch
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 4 cups Cauliflower cut into pieces
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 3 tbp. Butter
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Start water boiling of cauliflower.
- In large sauté pan over medium heat, add oil, onion and garlic. Cook 3 minutes then add sausage.
- Add garlic and cauliflower to boiling water and cook for 15 minutes.
- Add seasonings and shrimp to sauté pan. Once shrimp in no longer pink, remove shrimp and sausage from pan.
- Combine chicken broth and corn starch then add to pan and stir with pan drippings until a pan gravy develops.
- Drain cauliflower and transfer to bowl. Add butter, lemon juice, and cream and blitz with immersion blender until creamy.
- Place portion of whipped cauliflower on plate. Top with Shrimp & Sausage mixture, pan gravy and garnish with parsley.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
One thought on “Cajun Shrimp over Whipped Cauliflower #ketofriendly”
Wow does this ever look good! I love that you’ve cut carbs by serving the shrimp with mashed cauliflower. Thanks so much for sharing with us over at You’re the Star. We hope to see you again soon!