Tacos really are a staple of the weeknight family dinner. At the very least it’s every tuesday… but who doesn’t love a Taco more than once a week. These super easy Crispy Shrimp Tacos are going to be the highlight of your weekly menu for sure. The reason tacos are so great is because they are so versatile. You can make a taco using any type of protein and the combine with a variety of veggies, cheeses and sauces to make something different every week.
I strongly suggest you find a Jalapeño Ranch Dressing for this recipe. Toby’s Family Foods has a great version- available in Whole Foods and lots of grocery stores nationwide. It offers the perfect amount of heat and cooling ranch flavors. And no they didn’t sponsor this post – I just love their product. If you cannot find a pre-made one you can always make your own. You can use your favorite ranch recipe (I have one here if you need) and add in some fresh chopped jalapenos.
Seasoned cornstarch is such am under used crispy crust on proteins. It’s a quick and easy way to get a crunchy layer of texture to your dishes. It is a lighter crust than you get from a more traditional egg and flour dredge. You could go with a flour dreaded or you could do a buttermilk and flour or cornstarch coating. Just do not forget to season the cornstarch because if you don’t you will get the most bland crust ever.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Crispy Shrimp Tacos
- 15 Flour Tortillas fajita size
- 1 cup Cojita Cheese crumbled
- 1 cup Jalapeno Ranch Dressing
For the Shrimp
- 1½ lb Jumbo Shrimp raw, peeled, deveined, tail-off
- 2 cup Cornstarch
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Oil for frying
For the Slaw
- 2 cups Red Cabbage shredded
- ½ Medium Red Onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup Cilantro chopped
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- Combine ingredient for slaw in a mixing bowl. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to make tacos.
- Add enough oil to large frying pan to be ½ inch deep. Place over medium-high heat.
- In another mixing bowl, combine cornstarch and cumin. Add shrimp to bowl and toss to thoroughly combined.
- Once the oil is heated to 350degF, begin frying shrimp in batches – letting cook for 2 minutes on each side. Remove to a cooking rack over paper towels. Continue until all of the shrimp is fried (add additional oil as needed, and allow to return to 350degF).
- Start with a portion of slaw on each tortilla. Then top with 3-4 crispy shrimps. Drizzle with ranch, and sprinkle with cheese. Repeat with remaining tacos.
I love to link up my posts to lots of blogs around the internet – check out this Ultimate Handy Linky Party List to find some of the places I share to!
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!