When it comes to getting take out, I am such a sucker for the egg rolls! That crispy outer shell with the warm and flavorful filling is just so good. But with them being typically deep fried, it an be a bit much. So I started with idea of a way to bake them instead, and then I realized that it’s the feeling that I wanted. Then it becomes how do I get more filling and bam! – Egg Roll Bowls!
You will definitely going to need some Baking Bowl Molds. They are often listed as tortilla or taco shell molds, but you can use them for so much more. Like these wonton bowls, which you may just want to use for more than these egg roll bowls. You could fill them with an Asian inspired salad or stir fry. You can also use them to make fun bowls for desserts by brushing wonton wrapper or tortillas with honey and/or cinnamon sugar.
I used ground pork, because that’s my favorite type of egg roll. But you can make this with any ground meat really. Beef, Chicken, Turkey – even lamb, would work just fine in the recipe. You can also use a combination of red and green cabbage if you prefer. But just remember to keep it simple, too many ingredients can muddle the classic egg roll flavors.
You may be wondering if this is really a whole meal – but it really is. Super filling and full of flavor it really is a dish that can be the whole dinner. If you wanted to go with more of a take-out meal, you could fill the bowls a little less and then serve along side some fried rice or chow mein or what ever you take out favorites are.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Egg Roll Bowls
- 6 6inch Wonton Wrappers
- Cooking Spray
- 2 tbsp Sesame Oil
- 2 lb Ground Pork
- ½ Medium Red Onoins diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sweet Chili Sauce plus more for garnish
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- 1 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 6 Green Onions chopped
- 2 cups Green Cabbage shredded
- 2 cups Carrots shredded
- Preheat oven to 425degF
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add sesame oil, onions and garlic. Saute for 3 minutes then add the ground pork. Cook and crumble until no longer pink. Reduce heat to medium.
- Combine soy sauce, chili sauce, vinegar and ginger powder. Add to pork and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Spray bowl molds with cooking spray. Place wonton wrapper in each and brush with oil. Place in oven and bake for 4 minutes (watch closely, as they brown very quickly).
- Remove pork from heat and stir in cabbage, carrots and green onions. Let sit 5 minutes. Fill each wonton bowls with filling and drizzle with additional chili sauce, if desired.
Custom Instacart Link for this Recipe
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
10 thoughts on “Egg Roll Bowls”
Looks yummy! The bowls are like the ones we get at our locally owned Mexican restaurant. They use them to make taco salads. Thanks so much for linking up at the Unlimited Link Party 100. Shared.
That sounds delicious!
So good! I hope you try it
It looks amazing! And these bowls could be useful for any cooked goodies to put inside!
Thanks for sharing at the What’s for Dinner party – hope your week has been going great!
Estelle, CONGRATS! Your post is FEATURED at the #UnlimitedLinkParty 101!
Awesome! Thanks so much