Who doesn’t love a classic diner style sandwich for dinner. These Loose Meat Sandwiches are so fun to make and so yum to eat! Two cheeses, caramelize onions, ground beef and perfectly toasted bread – with a little kick.
The combination of Swiss and cheddar gives a great gooey cheese bite. I like to use a sharp cheddar, but a mild or medium would work just as well as a white cheddar. The perfectly caramelized onions are so dang good melted into the ground beef. Then you add the finishing touch – Spicy Mayo!
So how do you get the ultimate crispy bread? You can use butter and they will be good for sure. But use the southern mama’s trick – Miracle Whip! Spreading a thin even layer of the outside of the bread gets you a delicious crispy golden bread. These sandwiches are great as leftovers, so if you make a few extra you can save them for lunch the next day. Just be sure you let them cool down to room temp before you wrap them up to put in the refrigerator.
The best way to enjoy this sandwich is along side some crispy fries (seasoned fries, are preferred by my family) and a nice dill pickle spear. Another great side would be potatoe salad or a coleslaw if you wanted to go all in on the diner style dinner!
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Loose Meat Sandwiches
- 1 Griddle
- 12 slices Buttermilk Bread
- ½ cup Miracle Whip or mayonnaise
- 9 slices Swiss Cheese
- 9 slices Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup Butter
- 3 Medium Yellow Onions thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
For the Meat
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Onion Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
For the Spicy Mayo
- ½ cup Mayonnaise
- ¼ cup Sriracha
- In a medium frying pan over medium-high heat, melt butter. Once melted add onions and worcestershire sauce. Stir and coat in melted butter. Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to let simmer while beef cooks, stirring occasionally.
- Combine Spicy Mayo in a small bowl and set aside
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add ground beef, onion powder, paprika, garlic, salt, pepper, and worcestershire sauce. Cook and crumble until no longer pink. Drain off excess fat.
- Preheat Griddle to High (or 400degF, depending on setting options). Note – you can use a flat bottom pan on the stovetop if you do not have a griddle, you will just have to cook the sandwiches in batches.
- Spread Miracle Whip on one side of each slice of bread. Build the sandwich with the mayo spead side down, add one and a half slices of swiss cheese, portion of ground meat, drizzle with spicy mayo, portion of onions, one and a half slices of cheddar cheese and slice of bread (mayo on top). Repeat with remaining sandwiches.
- Place on hot griddle and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side. Serve hot!
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
7 thoughts on “Loose Meat Sandwiches”
Oh my goodness! This sounds so gooey and delicious!
Gooey is the perfect word to describe these sandwiches
Perfect for my hubby! Thanks so much for linking up at the Unlimited Link Party 98. Shared.
Your making me feel hungry 😋
We love sandwiches at our house – this looks really good! Thanks for sharing at the What’s for Dinner party – Have a great week.
My mouth is watering just looking at these! What a delicious sandwich…oh goodness I’m craving one for lunch now 😀
They are so good! A perfect lunch indeed