Somethings just go together – like Rosemary & Chicken. The flavors meld together so seamlessly it is delicious every time. There is just something so comforting about the smell of rosemary and chicken cooking in the kitchen. And this Rosemary Chicken & Biscuits with chicken from the slow cooker, makes the whole house smell amazing by the time everyone comes home for the day.
You are not going to believe the delicious flavor you get from this rosemary cream sauce. The preparation might seem a little different but I promise you that it is worth it. The pureed carrots, celery and leeks give the sauce such a depth of flavor! With them cooking all day in the slow cooker, it would be a shame to just toss them out. And I know I say this a lot, but if you still don’t have an immersion blender – you need one!
Putting the chicken under the broiler is a necessary step. While the chicken is totally cooked and full of flavor, the skin is going to be a little, well, slimy. By putting it under the broiler for a few minutes, you get it to crisp up, which is much more appealing to most.
For the biscuits, you really can use whatever your favorite recipe is. I like to use my Butter Swim Biscuits for most of my biscuit dishes. You can use your own recipe or you can go pre-cooked from the grocery bakery or refrigerator biscuits from the tube. For this dish, the biscuits are more of vessel than anything else, so you have some leeway here.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Rosemary Chicken & Biscuits
- Slow Cooker (at least 6qt)
- Immersion Blender
- 4 Chicken Thighs, bone-in
- 6 Chicken Drumsticks, bone-in
- 1 qt Chicken Broth
- 1 cup White Wine
- 3 Carrots chopped
- 3 Celery Stalks chopped
- 2 Leeks chopped, only the tender bottoms
- 2 tsp Rosemary divided
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Tarragon
- 2 tsp Salt divided
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 12 Biscuits
- Add chicken, chicken broth, white wine, 1 teaspoon rosemary, tarragon, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, carrots, celery, and leeks to slow cooker. Secure lid and set to low for 6 hours.
- Prepare biscuits in last 30 minutes of the cook time. (You can use refrigerator biscuits, the butter swim biscuit recipes I have linked in the post, or whatever your favorite biscuit recipe).
- Preheat oven to Broil setting. Place a cooking rack on a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Remove chicken pieces from slow cooker and lay out on the cooking rack. Cook for 3 minutes on each side under broiler.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, add butter. Once melted whisk in flour and cook for 2 minutes. Ladle 2 cups of chicken stock (from the slow cooker while trying to only get liquid) into sauce pan and whisk together. Cook for 3 minutes and whisk in heavy cream, remaining salt and remaining rosemary. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Remove 2 cups of veggies and liquid from the slow cooker to a bowl. Using an immersion blender to blitz until smooth. Then stir into cream sauce.
- Add 2 biscuits and 1 or 2 pieces of chicken to a plate. Ladle cream sauce over top.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!