You might be thinking – how can you make a grilled cheese sandwich and call it dinner? Well you just pile on some delicious shredded chicken smothered in a homemade bbq sauce and bam! You have got a hearty and tasty meal – BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese.
I used sourdough bread (I found these great sliced sourdough rounds that make awesome sandwiches and even burger buns!) You could certainly use other types of breads like wheat, white or even a multigrain. The combo of cheddar and provolone had a great flavor. I always like to use more than one kind of cheese on my grilled cheese sandwiches.
The sauce for the chicken could be used on lots of other meats too – it is great on ribs, sausages, burgers, briskets, tri-tips – really anything you put on the grill. You can also use it as a dipping sauce for chicken strips or french fries! It comes together so easy – but packs so much flavor. If you wanted to add a bit of heat to it – you could sprinkle in some red pepper flakes or even a dash of cayenne.
I served this up with Bacon Cheddar Broccoli Salad – which uses my Homemade Veggie Dip to dress it. You can’t go wrong with the yummy flavor combo of Cheddar, Bacon and Ranch! And the fresh broccoli is a nice change from a regular lettuce salad. This salad makes a great pot luck or bbq addition when you don’t need another potato salad in the mix.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
BBQ Chicken Grilled Cheese
- 1½ lb Chicken Thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 qt Chicken Broth
- 16 slices Sourdough Bread
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 8 slices Provolone Cheese
- 8 slices Cheddar Cheese
- ½ Red Onion sliced
For the BBQ Sauce
- 2 6oz can Tomato Paste
- ½ cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tbsp Minced Onion
- ¼ cup Bourbon
- ¼ cup Honey
- ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
- ¾ cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Salt
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add chicken and chicken broth. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove chicken from pan to a bowl and shred.
- In a smaller saucepan over medium-low heat, add sauce ingredients, stir to combine. Let simmer on low while chicken is cooking. Once chicken is shredded pour sauce over and toss to coat.
- Preheat griddle to medium. Combine oil, garlic powder and parsley. Brush over one side of each piece of bread. Build sandwiches with brushed side of bread on the outside. Start with bread, then layer with slice of provolone, a few slices of onion, a portion of BBQ chicken, slice of cheddar and top bread piece. Place each sandwich on the griddle and cook for 5 minutes on each side.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!