I know what you are thinking – Crispy and Oven-Fried sounds like an oxy-moron….but you would be wrong about this recipe. I have worked on this recipe for a while and I believe I finally nailed it! My Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken was a huge hit – my husband ate SEVEN pieces by the end of the night.
This recipe does require a little bit of planning ahead, as the chicken needs to sit in the yogurt mixture for at least 6 hours. But it can also sit in the refrigerator over night. So you can make prep it before you go to bed the night before. You can also just do what I did – and get it ready right after breakfast. Trust me when I say – IT IS WORTH IT! I can confirm this as I am sitting here eating a piece of left over chicken as I write up this post and it is still delicious. (I made a double batch because my boys insisted they were starving and they ate almost all of it!)
What about the Sides?
I put some cheesy mashed potatoes on the side of my Crispy Oven-Fried Chicken, but you could do lots of different sides. Any kind of potato or pasta salad would work. Check out my Gruyere Mac & Cheese, Spicy Potato Corn Salad or Lemon Dill Orzo Salad! You could also check out one of the 17 different Side Dish Recipes in my cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight which is available on Amazon in Paperback or eBook (Kindle) versions.
This is oven-fried version of the classic fried chicken is sure to be a hit in your home. Most aren’t even going to realize it’s not actually fried in a vat of oil – except that it’s not the least bit greasy. It is is just crispy, crunchy deliciousness!
Now let’s get cookin’
Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- Baking Sheet w/ Cooking Rack
- 16 oz Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup Dijon Mustard
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 14-16 Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tbsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Coarse Black Pepper
- Avocado Oil Cooking Spray
- Combine yogurt, mustard and garlic in a large bowl. Put chicken into bowl and toss until evenly coated. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 6 hours (up to overnight)
- Preheat oven to 425deg.
- In a bowl combine flour, salt, pepper, paprika, and baking powder. Dunk each of piece of chicken into the flour mixture and thoroughly coat all sides. Line out (alternating direction, so you can fit them all in) on a baking sheet with a cooking rack. Once done with all pieces, spray with cooking spray and then put into oven for 45 minutes.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!