Side Dishes are some often overlooked when it come to meal planning. But when you have a great side dish – it can be the star of the show. I especially like to make sure that I have a few really good side dish ideas when I am making a protein that doesn’t take a whole lot of prep – like grilled chicken or steaks.
1. Cheesy Rice & Broccoli (full recipe here!) – this recipe is simple, quick and goes with just about every protein. It goes especially well with chicken or pork on a busy weeknight. You can even make it a one-pot wonder by adding in some chicken chunks when you add the broccoli.
2. Beer Battered Onion Rings (full recipe here!) – when you buy frozen onion rings, you usually only have the option of the Panko style – which is not my favorite. Making beer battered onions rings at home really isn’t that much work and they are so dang good! These are amazing with burgers or with the ever popular Turkey Club Wraps!
3. Citrus & Herbs Whipped Cauliflower (full recipe here!) – This side dish is so full of brightness it will knock your socks of. It goes amazingly with a grilled pork chop or a baked chicken breast. You could also serve it up with Cheddar & Spinach Stuffed Meatloaf (recipe can be found in the Homemade on a Weeknight Cookbook)
4. Spicy Potato Corn Salad (full recipe here!) – yes you read that right – Potato Corn Salad! This side dish bring the tangy of Greek Yogurt and Apple Cider Vinegar together with the sweetness of corn and a little spicy cayenne. And don’t forget the BACON! It would be so very good with Jalapeno Popper Chicken (recipe can be found in the Homemade on a Weeknight Cookbook) or on a picnic with some Turkey Club Wraps
5. Lemon Dill Orzo Salad (full recipe here!) – if you are looking for a cold salad or a make ahead side dish – this recipe is just the ticket. The lemon gives it such a bright pop of flavor and the crunchy bell peppers and cucumbers make it a satisfying side dish. This side dish is perfect for a potluck and goes perfectly with BBQ Chicken or Ribs! Probably the best pairing would be with a Turkey Patty Melt (recipe can be found in the Homemade on a Weeknight Cookbook)
You can find a whole section of Side Dish Ideas in the Homemade on a Weeknight Cookbook. If you haven’t ordered your copy yet – you can do that any time from Amazon. It comes in Paperback or Kindle (eBook) versions.
What’s your favorite side dish?