A super simple way to make a family favorite healthier is to remove the bread. It really is that simple! By taking out the buns, bread and tortillas, you are cutting out so many carbs and a lot of sugar too. The easiest way to do that is turn the dish into a Bowl – like I did with this Bacon Cheeseburger Bowl recipe!
Plating is a big part of this meal – the presentation is going to make it so appealing to everyone, they will forget that they don’t get a bun! For a bowl that has a lot of toppings, and can be very easy customization for each person’s tastes, I like to use the wedge method. I basically divide the bowl into wedges (like a pie) and start at the top moving clockwise around the bowl with each topping. You get a beautiful display of each individual ingredient and then you just drizzle your sauce over the whole bowl to bring it all together.
A great side dish for these Bacon Cheeseburger Bowls would be so baked Sweet Potato Fries (to keep with the healthier take on dinner) or you could make this burger bowl so that you could do a little splurge on some Beer Battered Onion Rings (get that recipe here!)
Bacon Cheeseburger Bowls
- 1 lb Bacon cut in ½-in pieces
- 2 Romaine Lettuce Hearts chopped
- 1½ cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese rustic cut shredded
- ¼ cup Pickle Slices Bread & Butter
- 4 Roma Tomatoes cubed
- ¼ cup White Sesame Seeds
- ½ White Onion thinly sliced
For the Ground Turkey
- 2 lb Ground Turkey
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Coarse Black Pepper
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- ½ White Onion minced
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
For Special Sauce
- ½ cup Avocado Mayo
- ½ cup Ketchup
- ¼ cup Pickle Juice Bread & Butter
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Smoked Paprika
- ⅛ tsp Cayenne
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- In a frying pan over medium high heat, add bacon. Cook until crispy and remove to a paper towel covered plate to drain grease.
- For Ground Turkey: In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add oil, white onions, and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes then add ground turkey, salt, pepper, and paprika. Cook, crumbing as it goes, for 8-10 minutes until there is no more pink.
- In a small bowl combine ingredients for Special Sauce. Place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Now build your bowl: start with a bed of lettuce. Then working clockwise around the bowl place each of the desired topping – burger, bacon, cheese, tomato, onion, pickles. Top with a drizzle of the Special Sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
I try to make at least two “healthier version” meals a week. That’s why there is a whole section of Healthier Fare meals in my cookbook Homemade on a Weeknight. If you want to try more recipes with a healthier spin – you can get your own copy in Paperback or eBook(Kindle) versions.
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
11 thoughts on “Bacon Cheeseburger Bowl”
I love this idea! Pinned. We do taco salad, why not a cheeseburger salad? Thanks for sharing at the What’s for Dinner party. Have a wonderful week ahead. Stay well.
Looks like a recipe my boyfriend would LOVE! He has a bunch of food allergies which results in him being a very picky eater… But he loves bacon and ground beef so this might be something he likes! 🙂
Stay in touch? Life of an Earth Muffin
Oh wow this looks super delicious! And easy to make too x #KCACOLS
Since being diagnosed Coeliac i’ve really missed cheesburgers so this is a great compromise! All the fun with none of the bread!
Oh my goodness, I want to eat this now!
Yum I really want to try this #KCACOLS
Being on slimming world this burger in a bowl is always our choice for a slim takeaway, but I want to try this bacon burger in a bowl – I know my husband would love it. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time
Thanks so much for linking up with #kcacols x
I see your yummy looking recipes all the time but don’t click on them for fear they will not fit into my new healthier lifestyle. So glad to know you have some healthier fare and I will be trying this. Thank lyou.
We often make a dinner like this, much lower in carbs. Thank you for bringing it to Fiesta Friday.