Summer is creeping up on us – and that means lots of things cooked on the grill in my house. I love to put together different combinations of meats and veggies on skewers and let them cook up with minimal effort. These Summer Sausage Skewers have Italian sausage, zucchini, yellow squash, and red onion – perfect for summer dinner in the back yard. I also made a lemon basil aioli for dipping to go along with it
How you put things on your skewers affects how they cook, so you want to take into account the cooking time of each item and then arrange accordingly. I went with putting the squash pieces on flat and the sausages on through the shorter side. This made the skewers roughly the same width and thickness for even cooking.
Making aioli from scratch is really not that hard. It’s essentially making a flavored mayo from scratch – using oil and egg yolks. It is really important that you separate the all of the egg whites out from the yolks before using them. Also, this sauce will start to separate the longer it sits, so just keep mixing it vigorously.
I severed these skewers with Crispy Parmesan Tarragon Potatoes. These were a huge hit at my table – as I was told I didn’t make enough of them! You could serve them with a salad, pasta salad, potato salad – any number of good backyard bbq sides!
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Summer Sausage Skewers
- 10 Italian Sausages cut in thirds
- 1 Red Onion cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 Zucchini cut into ½-inch rounds
- 1 Yellow Squash cut into ½-inch rounds
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Oregano
For the Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup Fresh Basil roughly chopped
- 1 Lemon zest & juice
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- ½ cup Avocado Oil
- 4 Egg Yolks
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat grill or grill pan to medium-high.
- In a bowl, combine veggies, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder and oil. Toss to coat.
- Build Skewers – alternate veggies and 3 chunks of sausage on each skewer. Once grill or grill pan is hot, begin cooking for 8 minutes on each side.
- In a small bowl, combine aioli ingredients. Blitz with immesion blender until smooth. Place in fridge until ready to serve.
- Serve 1-2 skewers per person with dipping sauce in a small dish.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
6 thoughts on “Summer Sausage Skewers”
This sounds delish! Visiting you from the Thurs favorite things link up.
This is indeed perfect for summer! Love the sound of it! Thanks for sharing at Fiesta Friday party!
Looks like a fun barbecue party dish! http://bigfatmenopausallife.blogspot.com/2021/05/playing-in-dirt-for-mental-health.html
Adding this to my menu next week! Thanks.
Looks delish. Thanks for sharing your recipe @omhgww. See you next week. 🙂
Estelle, these look so good. I just made beef and chicken skewers a few weeks ago that were amazing. I really like the dipping sauce recipe you shared with this, too. Yum!