Meatballs and pasta are a classic combination, but you can do so many different things to freshen it up. For this pasta night delight, I used a ground turkey mixed with roasted red peppers and feta and covered it in a creamy hummus and feta sauce. This Greek Meatball Pasta was a real hit at our dinner table.
I used Mezzetta Roasted Red Bell Peppers from a jar. You can usually find them in the pickle section of the store, but sometimes they are by the tomato sauces. I used roughly half of a 16 oz jar for this recipe. You could put more in the meatball mix if you just like more – or if you want to get a few more meatballs out of it.
For the hummus – I used Sabra Roasted Garlic Hummus. You can also make your own hummus (chickpeas, garlic, salt, lemon juice and oil – all blitzed until smooth). You might be wondering if the hummus will really make a sauce – and I can assure you that it really really will. The larger chunks of feta will not melt fully – but that’s okay.
I served this with some pitas (quartered), drizzled with avocado oil, oregano and sprinkle with feta cheese. Put it in a 400deg oven for roughly 10 minutes. The feta doesn’t melt like other cheeses do, but it does get soft and adhere to the pita pieces.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Greek Meatball Pasta
- 1½ lb Short Pasta shellbos, rotini, shells
- ½ Red Onion sliced
- 1 cup Grape Tomatoes quartered
For the Meatballs
- 1½ lb Ground Turkey
- ¾ cup Roasted Red Pepper chopped
- 1 cup Garlic Croutons crushed
- 1 Egg Beaten
- 1 cup Feta Cheese crumbled
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Dried Onion
For the Sauce
- 8 oz Garlic Hummus
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Sriracha
- ¾ cup Feta Cheese crumbled
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 400deg. Start water boiling for pasta.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, add all ingredients for sauce and stir to combine. Continue to stir to help feta to melt.
- In a bowl, combine meatball ingredients. Form into 1½ inch meatballs and line them out on a parchment paper covered baking dish. Place in oven and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook as directed on the package. Drain in collander and rinse with cool water.
- At same time that you add pasta to boiling water, add tomatoes and onions to hummus sauce mixture. Continue to stir and cook until pasta is done.
- In a shallow pasta bowl, add a portion of pasta. Ladle sauce over pasta and top with 5-6 meatballs. Drizzle with a little more sauce.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!