Dinner in a wrap is exactly what a weeknight meal should be! What I love about this particular wrap is that you can serve it warm or cold. Which means you can make it ahead of time or right at dinner time. You can also make them up and head over to soccer practice, or get some evening fishing in! Tex Mex Chicken Salad Wraps are full of flavor and going to be a great addition to your rotation.
I learned this new (to me) way of warming up a tortilla from a brewery my husband and I went to recently. I turned up my grill pan all the way, and put the tortilla down on top, gently pressing it flat. As soon as it started to bubble, I pulled it off. Let it cool for about a minute and then fill it up with this chicken salad yumminess. Just be sure not to let it sit too long, it will harden and rip when you try to roll it up. I learned that the hard way when I tried to make all of the tortillas before filling them and lost the first one!
Using Greek Yogurt instead of mayo is pretty common in my household. You get the same creaminess and it holds things together just the same. You also get the added benefits of getting yogurt into the family’s diet and that’s always good! I like to use 5% milkfat Greek yogurt, but you can use whatever kind of plain yogurt you want. Really make sure that you are not using vanilla or some other flavored yogurt by accident – sometimes its a win but usually its a total fail!
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Tex-Mex Chicken Salad Wraps
- 1 15 oz can Black Beans rinsed & drained
- 1 4 oz can Diced Green Chilies
- 2 lb Chicken Thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 qt Chicken Broth
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- ½ Red Onion diced
- 6 Tortillas Burrito Sized
For the Dressing
- 8 oz Greek Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Dried Minced Onion
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add chicken broth and chicken. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove chicken and shred. Set aside to cool.
- In a bowl combine ingredients for the dressing. Place in refrigerator until chicken is ready.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, veggies, and chicken. Add dressing and stir until well coated.
- Fill each tortilla (you can warm it up on a grill or griddle, if serving warm) with a portion of the chicken salad and wrap up. Cut on the diagonal.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
5 thoughts on “Tex Mex Chicken Salad Wrap”
You had me at Tex-Mex. I used to live in Texas and this style of food is home for me. Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe.
I hope you enjoy it!
Looks good! Thanks so much for linking up with me at the Unlimited Link Party 25. Pinned!
Pinned it! It looks delicious!
We sure enjoyed featuring your awesome post on Full Plate Thursday,535, plus we just pinned it to our features board. Thanks so much for sharing with us and hope to see you again real soon!