Chicken & Rice recipes can be found in just about every style of food, in every culture for a few different reasons. The combo is very diverse and can take on just about any flavor palate. They are relatively inexpensive ingredients that are easy to obtain just about anywhere. They compliment each other flawlessly. And most kids will at least give it a try when they hear that dinner is Chicken & Rice. This recipe is an Asian inspired dish called Cashew Chicken & Rice and I hope you enjoy it!
The sauce is the center of this dish – super simple but so flavorful. The red pepper flakes give it just enough of a kick to be there but not so much that your mouth in on fire. You could always adjust the amount to control the heat levels. Another key to success is getting the cashews toasted. Don’t worry if you get a little bit of blackening happening – it adds to the flavor. You are trying to make the cashews just pliable enough to still have bite but also release some of the oils as well as let the sauce in.
Another great thing about this recipe – it makes for great lunch leftovers – if you end with any. Per usual – my kids ate every last morsel despite my thinking that I had made enough for leftovers.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Cashew Chicken & Rice
- 1½ lb Chicken Thighs, boneless & skinless cut into 1-in chunks
- 1 Green Bell Pepper cut into 1-in chunks
- 1 White Onion cut into 1-in chunks
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 cup Cashews coarsely chopped
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds plus more for garnish
- 1 cup Coco Aminos
- 1 tbsp Ginger grated
- ⅓ cup Rice Vinegar
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- ¼ cup Honey
- 1 qt Chicken Broth
- 2 cup Short Grain Rice
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- In a pan over medium-high heat, add rice and chicken broth. Bring just to boil, reduce heat to medium and cover with lid. Cook for 15 minutes then remove from heat – DO NOT REMOVE LID until ready to serve.
- In a bowl, combine coco aminos, 2 tbsp avocado oil, red pepper flakes, sesame seeds, rice vinegar, honey, garlic and ginger to make sauce.
- In a small saute pan over medium-low heat, add cashews. Lightly toast for 3-5 minutes, then set aside.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add 2 tbsp avocado oil, chicken, salt and pepper. Cook for 7-9 minutes. Then add onions, green peppers and sauce mixture. Let cook another 5 minutes then add toasted cashews.
- Serve Cashew Chicken over a portion of rice. Garnish with more sesame seeds if desired.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
One thought on “Cashew Chicken & Rice”
My mouth is watering! I look forward to trying this! Pinned.