Sometimes your chicken needs a little something extra, a little something different. Pecan Crusted Chicken is an excellent twist on an oven fried chicken. You get a crispy crust with a juicy piece of chicken. Pecans have a buttery flavor with a sweet nuttiness.
If you wanted to make this keto – you could use some gluten-free bread crumbs or replace it with a low carb flour like King Arthur’s Measure for Measure. But really the small amount you use, would not totally kick you off your diet.
You could do a couple of different sauces with this chicken. A honey mustard sauce would be really good. You could also do a maple bourbon type sauce. I went with a lemon garlic sauce along with some angel hair pasta.
You could use a food processor to chop up the pecans, but be careful not to turn it into pecan butter. You would probably want to use the pulse function. It’s okay to leave a few bigger chunks to give the chicken more texture. I just used a large nice and chopped them by hand – it doesn’t take much time and you don’t get as much dust.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Pecan Crusted Chicken
- 8 Chicken Breasts cut in half
- 1½ cup Pecans chopped fine
- ½ cup Bread Crumbs
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 375deg.
- Make a dredging station: Plate 1 – combine eggs, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Plate 2 – combine pecans and bread crumbs. Dip piece of chicken in plate 1 and then plate 2. Repeat with remaining pieces of chicken.
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add half of oil. Cook each piece of chicken for 4 minutes on each side and remove to a baking rack on a baking sheet. Add more oil as needed until all pieces have been toasted.
- Place baking sheet in oven for 25 minutes. Let rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!