The kids had been asking for pizza for a week or two – and I just didn’t want the same old thing. I wanted to try some new flavors out so I decided to make Chicken Bacon White Pie! It is three cheeses mixed with chicken and bacon on a focaccia style pizza crust topped with fresh peppery arugula.
This is a super easy – perfect for a weeknight – dinner idea. You can choose to make the pizza dough yourself (recipe is at the bottom) or you can purchase store-bought dough. I like to make it rectangular but you can do round too. Same with the chicken – you can make it yourself or you can get a rotisserie chicken and shred it. This pizza pie also doesn’t exactly have a sauce to speak of – it’s really just the melting and mingling of cheeses while it bakes that makes the “sauce” layer. The fresh arugula on the top of this pie is very important. The peppery punch is perfect for the cheeses. You could also give the pizza a little spritz of Balsamic Vinegar to give it a sour note – super yummy!
The pizza dough recipe below can be used for all kinds of pizzas or you can use it to make focaccia bread to go with a salad or pasta dish. It needs at least an hour to rise. You can also make it the night before – just cover with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator. You will want to let it rest on the counter for 15 minutes or so before you try to spread it out to bake.
Now let’s get cookin’!
Chicken Bacon White Pie
- 2 Pizza Crusts store-bought or homemade (see recipe below)
- 4 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 tsp Basil
- 1 lb Bacon cut in ½inch pieces
- 32 oz Ricotta Cheese
- 3 cups Mozzarella Cheese shredded
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 2 cups Arugula
For the Chicken
- 2 lb Chicken Thighs boneless, skinless
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Oregano
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 425deg.
- In a pot over medium high heat, add chicken and garlic. Cover with water and let boil for 15 minutes. Remove chicken from pot and chop. Toss with basil and oregano to coat.
- Roll out pizza crust on baking sheet. Brush with 2 tbsp oil. Spread half of garlic and half of basil over top. Repeat with second crust. Put in oven for 8 minutes.
- In a frying pan over medium high heat, add bacon. Cook until crispy and remove to a paper towel covered plate.
- To Build a Pizza – spread half of the ricotta cheese over crust. Top with one cup of mozzarella, half of chicken and half of bacon. Sprinkle with half cup of mozzarella and half a cup of Parmesan cheese. Repeat with second pizza. Put into oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top each pizza with fresh arugula. And slice into 8 pieces.
- 4 cups Flour
- 1 tbsp Yeast instant
- ⅓ cup Avocado Oil
- 1½ cup Warm Water
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 2 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil for bowl
- Prepare all of the ingredients
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast. Pour in water while stirring. Then add olive oil and continue to mix by hand. Mix until a sticky dough forms.
- Brush the insides of a second bowl with avocado oil and transfer ball of dough. Cover with towel or plastic wrap and let rise at least 1 hour. Dough should approximately double in size.
- Once risen, place dough on a baking sheet, lined with parchment paper. Stretch and press it out until you cover the baking sheet with ¼ inch thick crust.
- Continue to pizza recipe directions.
- If making for focaccia – brush with oil and add desired seasoning. Then bake for 15 minutes in 425 deg oven.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here: