A hearty, creamy, simple soup perfect for any night of the week – Ham & Potato Soup is a an excellent slow cooker meal. It is so quick to put together and smells absolutely divine all day while it’s cooking. Your family is going to be so happy to come home from a day in the snow or a hard day’s work to this delectable soup.
Most people over look leeks or think they are some odd strange vegetable. Really it is just a milder, sweeter flavor of onion or scallion. They add such a depth of flavor to soups and also really help with thickening it up. Leeks balance so well with potato that I almost always include them in my potato based soups.
I didn’t have a side dish with this soup but if I was going to do I probably would have done a jalapeno cheddar corn bread (just add some diced up jalapenos and cheddar cheese to your favorite corn bread mix).
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Ham & Potato Soup
- 2 lb Ham diced (½ inch pieces)
- 8 Yukon Gold Potatoes peeled and diced (½ inch pieces)
- 1 Leek halved and thinly sliced
- ½ Yellow Onion diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- Add everything EXCEPT the heavy cream and cheese to the slow cooker. Cover with lid and set to low for 6 hours.
- After 5 1/2 hours, remove roughly a third of the liquid, with a few potatoes but avoiding ham chunks to a bowl. Using a immersion blender, blitz until creamy. Add heavy cream and cheese to bowl and return to slow cooker. Stir to combine and replace lid. Let cook for remaining 30 minutes.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!