If you have never tried bacon jam, you have been seriously missing out on one of the tastiest condiments to ever grace a burger! Bourbon Bacon Jam is so incredible delicious – your family is going to flip. It is also pretty easy to make – so it’s win-win.
While it does not photograph well – the blast of flavor makes up for it in spades. The combination of brown sugar, bourbon, vinegar and pepper is just amazing. I served this atop a beef burger with white cheddar cheese and arugula that I dressed with balsamic vinegar and avocado oil on a toasted ciabatta bun. It was nothing short of divine.
You could also use it over the top of pretty much any grilled piece of meat – chicken, steak, pork. It would be wonderful in a brisket taco too! You really can use it in lots and lots of ways. If you do have any left when you make it, you can store it in an air tight container for 2-3 days.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Bourbon Bacon Jam
- 1 lb Bacon cut into ¼-inch pieces
- ½ White Onion finely diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- ⅔ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ⅔ cup Bourbon
- ⅔ cup Water
- ¾ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- ½ tsp Cayenne
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- In a saute pan over medium high heat, add bacon. Cook until crispy then add onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes (onions should be translucent).
- In a bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Once the onions are cooked through, add mixture to pan. Bring to a boil and let cook for 3 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Most of the liquid will cook off and you will be left with a syrupy jam.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!