Soup Season is upon us! Soups are so dang easy to put together and can be very hearty and filling! I made this Tortellini Soup the other day hoping for leftovers, but no such luck. My teenage boys practically licked the pot clean! A simple collection of amazing flavors set in the slow cooker for several hours and voila – Tortellini Soup was created.
The great thing about this recipe is that you can customize it a few different ways. You can use a spicier Italian sausage or a mild or even sweet red pepper sausage. You can use cheese tortellini or add some with different flavors – or even colors. I also love that you can use frozen tortellini (for those days when time gets away from you and you forgot to take it out of the freezer in the morning).
Making dinner in the slow cooker can be a huge time saver. With all the distance learning and working from home, the day can get away from you and you are exhausted by dinner time. When you start a meal in the slow cooker, while you still have the energy, you only have to do a few things at the end and then serve it. Plus you get to smell the yumminess all day long and just know dinner will be fantastic. Remember that every size and shape of slow cooker is different, so you may need to adjust cooking times to suit your unit.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
- Slow Cooker
- 1 lb Chicken Sausage cut in ½ inch coins
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- ½ White Onion minced
- 1 28oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 15oz can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 qt Chicken Broth
- 1½ tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Fennel Seed
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1½ lb Tortellini fresh or frozen
- 2 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- Add sausage, onion, garlic, tomatoes, chicken broth and seasoning to slow cooker and stir together. Cover with lid and cook for 5½ hours on low.
- Remove lid and stir in heavy cream until full incorporated. Then do same with Parmesan Cheese. Last add tortellini and stir. Replace lid and let cook another 30 minutes.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!