With the temperature dropping as quickly as it has been – we are struggling to stay above 45deg any given day and it’s not even November yet! Soup becomes a staple on my weekly menu. And it’s totally true – I can’t leave traditional recipes alone. I like to take classic ideas and make them into something a little different. And that’s what I did with my version of Pasta Fagioli by adding in some cheese and heavy cream. I hope that you will love Creamy Pasta Fagioli as much as my family did!
When I put Pasta Fagioli on the weekly menu – every single kid…and my husband… said “What’s that?” So I sort of described it as an Italian Flavored Chili and then told them I was planning to add cream and cheese to it. They all seemed pacified and willing to wait till I actually made it. Can I just tell you – when the temperature drops below freezing and you need to warm the bellies of your family – this is the soup to cook! The veggies and the beans and the pasta – it is so packed full that you will not have anyone hungry in the end!
So why do I add cream to everything? Simple – because everything is better with cream. It is an excellent source of good fats. It’s easy to find. And if just gives everything a richness that takes it to the next level. Yes, I go through gallons of cream at my house each month – so many sauces and gravies! But it is so worth it! So why not add cream and make it Creamy Pasta Fagioli!
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Creamy Pasta Fagioli
- 2 lb Ground Italian Sausage I used pork
- ½ White Onion
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1 tsp Coarse Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 cup Carrot diced
- 1 cup Celery diced
- 1 15oz can Kidney Beans drained
- 1 15oz can Cannelloni Beans drained
- 1 qt Chicken Broth
- 1 15oz can Diced Tomato
- 1 15oz can Tomato Puree
- 2 cups Short Pasta ditalini, elbows, etc.
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded (plus more for garnish)
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Start water boiling for pasta
- In a large stock pot over medium high heat, add oil, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. Cook for 3-4 minutes. Add sausage and cook until browned.
- Add carrots and celery to the pot and cook another 3-4 minutes. Then add chicken broth, diced tomato, tomato puree, kidney beans, and cannelloni beans. Cover and reduce to medium heat, cook for 25 minutes.
- While soup is cooking, add pasta to boiling water. Cook as directed on package. Drain in a colander and rinse with cool water to arrest cooking process.
- Add the pasta to the pot and mix together. Add heavy cream and cook for 3 minutes. Then add cheese and cook another 3 minutes.
- Serve with parmesan cheese as a garnish if desired.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
7 thoughts on “Creamy Pasta Fagioli”
This looks and sounds absolutely fantastic! Stopping in to visit from Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a wonderful weekend!
This soup looks hearty and delicious! Just right for fall. I pinned it for later! Thanks for sharing! I’m visiting today from the Friday Favorites link up. Have a great weekend Estelle!
Here in East Tennessee we are enjoying the weather as it has been the in the 70’s this week. That recipe looks like a good one for a cold day. Thank you for stoping by the homestead Blog Hop.