The days are getting shorter and cooler – which means soup season is upon us! This Ravioli Soup is seriously so easy to make and so hearty – you are gonna be making it all the way through to winter. This is one of those “semi-homemade” sorts of meals as it does call for premade ravioli – but if you are so inclined, you could certainly make your own ravioli. That just tends to take a little more time than most have on a weeknight!
I like to use half hot and half sweet Italian Sausage but too much of either is — well — too much! You can use what every combination you like – just make sure it is NOT breakfast sausage. The big difference it breakfast sausage usually has sage and/or thyme as apposed to the basil, fennel and oregano that you find in Italian sausage. Also make sure it is the ground sausage and not in links or casings. If you can’t find any not in a casing, you can cut them open and squeeze the meat out.
This soup is really filling since it is creamy style, so you don’t particularly need a side dish. I did serve it with some sliced sourdough – which is so good for sopping up the yummy soup.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
- 1 lb Hot Italian Sausage
- 1 lb Sweet Italian Sausage
- 1 Yellow Onion diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tsp Fennel Seed
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Basil
- 2 28oz cans Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 qt Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 1½ Ravioli fresh or frozen
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- In a large stock pot over medium-high heat, add sausage. Crumble and cook until no longer pink. Add garlic, onion, basil, red pepper flakes, and fennel seeds. Cook for 5 minutes then add tomatoes and chicken broth. Reduce heat to medium and cover with lid. Cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove lid and add heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Cook for 5 minutes then add Ravioli. Replace lid and cook for 10 minutes. (Ravioli should float to top of soup when done).
Estelle Forrest self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!