Some nights you want to feel real fancy but just don’t have the time to put together a labor intensive meal. That’s why I love to create recipes that give you all the flavors of a special meal without the work! Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is just that!
This is recipe straight out of Homemade on a Weeknight in the Let’s Get Fancy Section. If you haven’t already gotten a copy of the cookbook – may be it’s time! Chicken Cordon Bleu is pretty fancy meal, that takes quite a bit of time to prepare – not exactly easy on a weeknight. This casserole gives you all the flavors of Dijon, swiss cheese and ham – without all the fuss of the traditional meal.
This casserole is so good all on it’s own, but it is also really good with roasted potatoes and/or cauliflower. The sauce that comes off this is delicious when you dip a tasty garlic roasted potato in it!
Don’t forget the broiling step on this recipe that is how you get the super gorgeous golden cheese on top and it adds just enough crunch to the dish. Swiss cheese has a different melting point than other more common cheese like cheddar or mozzarella. So you need the higher temperature of the broil to get it really start to become the ooey gooey goodness that this meal needs.
Casseroles are a great way to take something that takes a lot of work to make or create into a quick homemade meal any night of the week. You really just need a few ingredients – meats, veggies, cheeses – that can cook at the relative same rate and a binder of some sort. The binder can be a sauce or broth or more cheese!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 2 lb Chicken Breast cut in 1-in Chunks
- 8 oz Ham Steak cut in 1-in Chunks
- ¼ cup Butter melted
- ½ cup Cream Cheese softened
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp White Wine
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 8 slices Swiss Cheese
- 1 tbsp Parsley
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 350deg
- In a 13×9 baking dish, put layer of chicken covering the bottom. Top with ham chunks
- In a large bowl, mix melted butter, softened cream cheese, white wine, mustard, lemon juice, and salt. Evenly spread over the chicken & ham mixture, then top with swiss cheese slices.
- Cover baking pan with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and increase oven to broil. Remove foil, sprinkle with parsley and return to oven for 3 minutes to crisp the top.